Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
HP Pavilion touchsmart sleekbook goes black screen, I suspect that it's because i left it overnight without shutting down properly. Now it's black screen, I think only the display it not working. Please HELP!!!! I've done clicking f1 after booting the unit but it didnt help. Still black screen.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @LovelyJacinto,

I read the post. great job and brilliant effort on your part to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂  Please try these steps:

Please check in the bios if the issue persists. 

Steps to enter bios:

• please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.
  • Please check if the display is dim here. if it is, then the computer has a hardware issue and the display needs to be checked and serviced at the service center. Please contact HP phone support to get for further assistance.
  • Then press F9 key to load setup defaults and select yes and push “enter.”
  • Then press F10 to save changes and exit.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @LovelyJacinto,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding issues the computer having a black display. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require information regarding this:

• Did you connect it to an external TV via HDMI and check if it works?
  • Did you perform a hard reset on the computer and check?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

For now please try these steps:

and check if it gets fixed.

• Then connect it to an external TV via HDMI cable and check if there is a display.
  • If there is no display try to roll back the bios from this link: http://hp.care/2rZhONT  and try to perform both the methods mentioned.
  • Please try the keyboard combination and if that does not work, please download the latest bios for this computer to a USB flash drive from another computer from http://hp.care/2syreDe and then try the second method.
  • If it still does not get fixed then please try the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2ggR3nI and check if it gets fixed. Follow the guided troubleshooter and the option “The computer starts, but the display is blank or unresponsive”.

If it still does not work, please contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced if service options for this model are available as it is out of warranty by sometime and might be retired.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Otherwise, you might need to get it fixed locally.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Sorry for the late response, regarding my issue, I have only noticed that it is not really black screen. The display is so dim and blurry, you can't see anything unless youy closely look at the screen. Is there any software that I can download to fix the display? Or is it the lcd monitor the problem here and I should replace it? Please advise.
HP Recommended
By the way, the model is hp pavilion 14-b133tx.
HP Recommended
I have installed the nvidia graphic driver but nothing happened, the display is still very dim.
HP Recommended

Hi @LovelyJacinto,

I read the post. great job and brilliant effort on your part to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂  Please try these steps:

Please check in the bios if the issue persists. 

Steps to enter bios:

• please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.
  • Please check if the display is dim here. if it is, then the computer has a hardware issue and the display needs to be checked and serviced at the service center. Please contact HP phone support to get for further assistance.
  • Then press F9 key to load setup defaults and select yes and push “enter.”
  • Then press F10 to save changes and exit.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Will using hdmi connector helps? Or will the screen to other monitor be the same using hdmi connector? Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi @LovelyJacinto,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂 To answer your question if the display can be projected to an external Screen or TV via HDMI  port, yes it can be done once you log into windows. If your computer works correctly and the issue is only display related, then the computer could be hooked up to an external screen via an HDMI cable after you logon. Hope this answers your question.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HI, may I know if performing system recovery will help to fix the issue, I only had this time to try some steps that HP provided me but am still confused with what system recovery to perform. I am using external monitor and the display looks good, only on the laptops the display is unreadable. Hope you can help and advise.

I would like to confirm first if performing system recovery will help fix the display issue or is it really a harware issue before I contact the HP technical support. Thank you!
HP Recommended

HI @LovelyJacinto,

I read the post. As you've clearly stated that the computer display looks great on external screens and only the actual display of the computer is unreadable, it reinforces the fact that it is a hardware issue with the computer. The video card of the computer is great and the screen is faulty and it needs to be fixed. A system recovery will not fix it.

Hope this answers your question. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.