Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv2700
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello dear supports.

[Product informations]

Full model number: HP Pavilion dv2700 (but on the top of my screen, it says "dv2000" not 2700)

P/N: FF470EA#ABV

dv2999ee

[Specs]

Intel Duo CPU T9300

RAM: 2 GB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

[Questions]

1- Is my laptop dv2000 (on the laptop's screen) or dv2700 (on product information)?

2- From what I understood from other topics related to dv2000, it has a faulty graphic chip.

So when the graphic chip reaches a high temperature (example: 90c), screen starts to blink and freezes.

I heard that HP released a BIOS update back then, so that fan runs at 100% all the time to prevent graphic overheating.

* I need that BIOS update so I could somehow revive my laptop.

This one is for AMD processor so I can't use that one.

3- I need the latest "8400M GS" driver update compatible with this HP laptop.

I heard that incompatible drivers could also cause overheat and some problems.

4- Please tell me some suggestions to have a stable performance for a few years at least.

Thank you in advance 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model is a dv2999ee. 

It is part of the dv2000 model series.

All dv2000, dv6000, and dv9000 models, regardless of the product number have the dv#000 on the display bezel.

The latest BIOS update released for your notebook that I could find was F.2E - December 15, 2008

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41959.exe

You should only use the Vista graphics driver that was made for your notebook.

You have to manually install it as follows...Download and run the below graphics driver file.

You will most likely get an unsupported operating system error.  Close out of any error windows.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42001-42500/sp42201.exe

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Click in the Nvidia graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42201.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

I don't have any other suggestions to offer other than to let me know what model wifi adapter your PC has and what is the driver version and date.  I may be able to find a newer driver for the wifi.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model is a dv2999ee. 

It is part of the dv2000 model series.

All dv2000, dv6000, and dv9000 models, regardless of the product number have the dv#000 on the display bezel.

The latest BIOS update released for your notebook that I could find was F.2E - December 15, 2008

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41959.exe

You should only use the Vista graphics driver that was made for your notebook.

You have to manually install it as follows...Download and run the below graphics driver file.

You will most likely get an unsupported operating system error.  Close out of any error windows.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42001-42500/sp42201.exe

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Click in the Nvidia graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42201.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

I don't have any other suggestions to offer other than to let me know what model wifi adapter your PC has and what is the driver version and date.  I may be able to find a newer driver for the wifi.

HP Recommended

1- [BIOS Update]

This didn't go as I expected, my bios version was the same as the version you gave me.

So why conclude that there is not other bios updates for my pc and I have the latest one?

I thought that HP released this update to fix gpu overheating by setting the fan to %100, but I didn't see any options related to fan speed nor I felt any permanent speed increase in it.

2- [Graphic update]

before all of this topic and all; after the temperature reaches above 60c, assumingly my GPU malfunctions and my screen blinks and goes dark.

-------

I downloaded the update you sent for me, and amazingly I didn't get unsupported operating system error and I installed it. BUT I also did install it by the device manager method you told me.

After that I played a game for 15 minutes, then I started to watch a movie and after 5~10 minutes the same scenario occurred.

Screen blinked and it went dark, temperature was around 62C. After a few moments I got this BSOD:

"irql_not_less_or_equal"

Should be mentioned that 1 week ago while I was working with my pc, I got a BSOD of this error:

"parity check/memory parity error"

As the last question of this part:

Should I get rid of the graphic card by disabling it?!

I guess it's not worth the efforts of always worrying about the pc suddenly going off.

3- [Hard drive problem]

As awful as it can get, today I downloaded an app called CrystalDiskInfo and as a Health status it reported "Caution" with the following error:

"Reallocated Sectors Count"

Should I assume that this one is NOT related to screen blinks and the pc going off?

4- [Use Laptop memory on Desktop]

This laptop has 2 gb or ram (two slots in 1gb)

Can I use those on my desktop pc?

I guess not, because one of them is DDR2 and the other one is DDR3.

Desktop motherboard model: A58M-E33 / Desktop memory type: DDR3

Laptop memory type: DDR2-SDRAM - SO-DIMM

5- [Wifi adapter model]

As you kindly asked, here it is:

"Intel Wireless 3945BG network connection"

I really appreciate your last thorough explanation and I'm grateful for it ❤️

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I could not find any newer BIOS updates, and HP has retired support for the entire dv2000, 6000 and 9000 model series.

Though, I am pretty sure that was the last update released.

Why would you run the same version over again? 

Didn't you know what BIOS version was installed already?

You can only use DDR2 memory in your model--PC2-5300 or PC2-6400.

DDR3 memory runs at a different voltage and won't even fit in the slot because its slot is cut in a different place.

Graphics...sounds like the GPU may already be on its way out due to age and heat.

No fix other than to replace the motherboard, and I don't recommend that.

Disabling the graphics adapter, or uninstalling the driver will disable several things...

1.  You won't be able to change the screen resolution.

2.  Graphics acceleration will be disabled

3. You will not be able to put the PC in sleep mode

I would agree with you that the HDD issue is unrelated to the graphics issues.

You can get the latest wifi driver that Intel released from the link below.

I believe the actual driver version and date that actually installs will be older than 15.3.1, but I am only guessing.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27050/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel...

HP Recommended

"Why would you run the same version over again?"

My bad, thought It would change something.

1- ["the GPU may already be on its way out due to age and heat, No fix other than to replace the motherboard, and I don't recommend that."]

If I use Windows 7, I have two options:

1- Use the laptop normally and when it fails because of the graphic, just turn it off and use it few minutes later.

2- Disable graphics will lead to uncolorful taskbar and as you mentioned it will disable several things.

But can we agree on the fact that Windows 7 may use more graphics and RAM than XP in normal?

So if I install Windows XP (I have to ignore security issues):

1- This OS consumes less graphics "normally", so I would encounter "less problems".

2- Even If I disable graphics in Windows XP, It would not matter anyway because XP's interface is less dependent on graphics.

All the uses I need for this laptop is Office and watching some movies, I wouldn't use it for gaming anyway.

And I still would be able to use the graphics that you gave me, right?

2- [Considering my HDD issues, do you recommend to use "Page files"?]

I always set them twice the amount of RAM, so I have a 4GB page file now.

Would my damaged HDD causes this page file to function slower so it ends up making the system slower?

All I want is being able to use this laptop without screen freeze and graphical problems.

Thanks for your input Mr.Paul 😉

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, XP would use fewer resources but good luck finding XP drivers. 

Your notebook only had Vista drivers.

You probably should just use the notebook for short spurts and shut it down when the graphics acts bad.

If you disable the graphics or uninstall the driver, you won't be able to watch videos.  The performance will be awful.

The hard drive, I can't help you with.

Do a checkdisk /r and see if that fixes anything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.