Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to better understand how to use the HP ProtectTools Security Manager because it is preventing me from running some programs, and in turn, preventing me from getting my work done.  Most of the searches I perform for this tool pertains to uninstalling it, and honestly, that's not something I want to do since it sounds like it provides meaningful protection.  A fair number of search results are for other HP Protect tools and are not related.  So hopefully I can figure out how to get this to play fairly with my applications.

So is there some real documents that explains how to use this tool so I can actually run my programs?  I know when you download a file, or program, you need to right click on it and remove the protection (confirm its safe to use).  I've done that, but that does not appear to be enough.

For example, I'm trying to run VirtualBox on Windows 10 with the standard suggested suite of HP protection products enabled.  When I'm starting up a VM for the first time, which should build the environment, it is failing and this is the only "error" in the log, which repeats about a dozen times though out.

4894.bd0: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cache hit (Unknown Status -23021 (0xffffa613)) on \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpOFeedb.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
4894.bd0: Error (rc=0):
4894.bd0: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=Unknown Status -23021 (0xffffa613) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=32 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpOFeedb.dll
4894.bd0: Error (rc=0):
4894.bd0: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'c:\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpoFeedb.dll' (c:\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpoFeedb.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
4894.bd0: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000190 'c:\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpoFeedb.dll'

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!  If I can provide any additional details that could help, please ask.

Thanks for your time and help,

rBlue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Perhaps it does use some files from the Protect tools software.

As long as the actual Protect Tools software isn't installed in the programs menu, you should be fine.

I don't use any of the security software, so I really can't be of any further help.

The first thing I do when I get my new HP business desktops and notebook PC's, is uninstall it.

I have read too many posts on this forum where folks tinker with that security software, and permanently lock themselves out of their new $2K PC's.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The ProtectTools security manager software is not supported for use on W10, so the instructions are to uninstall it.

First you have to uninstall all of the plug ins before actually uninstalling the HP ProtectTools Security Manager software, if you installed any of the plug-ins.

The program that superseded the ProtectTools security manager software is the HP client security manager software, which you can find under your mobile workstation's support page.

HP Client Security Manager provides enhanced Windows login and website single-sign-on capabilities. Security Manager is also the host for HP Client Security plugins, and therefore should be installed before other Client Security modules. This package is provided for supported computer models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100001-100500/sp100032.exe

HP Recommended

I am totally confused now.

If HP ProtectTools Security Manager is not for Windows 10, then why did it come preinstalled from HP like that?  Or, if it did not come preinstalled, why did HP Support Assistant install it?  I have never manually installed any of HP's security tools, I've only followed through with what HP recommended through the HP Support Assistant when it has been updating drivers and the like.  Is that why so many people have to uninstall it, because HP keeps including it?

How can I tell what this software really is?  If it's not HP ProtectTools Security Manager, why is that being flagged in the logs?  Would you have any ideas on that?

Thanks greatly for your quick response... I'll look in to uninstalling it.

UPDATE: I checked C:\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\ and the date of the installation of these directories is when HP was building this custom laptop for me.  That directory contains 1,467 files and 73 folders, for a total size of 194 MB.  But HP Client Security Manager is the application that is listed in the installed apps list.  Does that qualify as "being used"?  I guess maybe HP Client Manager relies on those old DLLs?  Does any of that sound "right" to you?  Why would HP put known bad software on the computer, but yet it has no "installed" presence? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't work for or represent HP, I wouldn't know why that old and outdated software was part of your new mobile workstation's system image.

If you look at the support page, it isn't even offered as a program to be installed on your notebook.

Look under the Security section.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-17-g6-mobile-workstation/22892902

HP hasn't updated the protect tools software in years.

The last revision was for W8.1 back in 2013.

HP Recommended

I checked C:\Program Files\HP\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\ and the date of the installation of these directories is when HP was building this custom laptop for me.  That directory contains 1,467 files and 73 folders, for a total size of 194 MB.  Does that qualify as "being used"?  I guess maybe HP Client Manager relies on those old DLLs?  Does any of that sound "right" to you?  Why would HP put known bad software on the computer, but yet it has no "installed" presence? 

I'm assuming if it's there, then it's running.  Right?

HP Client Security Manager is the application that is listed in the installed apps list.  HP ProtectTools Security Manager is not listed.

Does this even sound right to you?  Why would there be such old software put on my computer in December 2019 when HP was building it?

Thanks again for the additional information.

rBlue

HP Recommended

Perhaps it does use some files from the Protect tools software.

As long as the actual Protect Tools software isn't installed in the programs menu, you should be fine.

I don't use any of the security software, so I really can't be of any further help.

The first thing I do when I get my new HP business desktops and notebook PC's, is uninstall it.

I have read too many posts on this forum where folks tinker with that security software, and permanently lock themselves out of their new $2K PC's.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help! 🙂

I think the answer to my original question is that something else is going on here.

Basically, HP ProtectTools Security Manager is not "installed" on this new HP Win 10 computer, but for some unknown reasons, HP put those files on the computer it may be used by other tools?

The problems has to be caused by something else.

Thanks for your help.... 🙂

rBlue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.