Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 15 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The keyboard back lighting only has one setting on or off and it is too bright. Ther eis no adjustment like on my Surface laptop it has three levels and off. Is there a BIOS update for this or a third party app I can hack this with. Since the light is coming from all around the keys you have to have your head directly above the keyboard to not see the light leakage.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Momentum123 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to adjust the keyboard backlight brightness.

Certain HP notebooks have Backlit Keyboards for typing in dimly lit environments. These backlit keyboards provide an HP Proximity Sensor, which activates the backlighting when a hand or other object approaches the computer. When the computer is not in use, the keyboard illumination is turned off automatically.

Adjust Proximity Sensor settings

The proximity sensor uses Proximity Sensor Control software to change the keyboard lighting behavior. If you are not satisfied with the way the proximity sensor is responding, try adjusting these settings to suit your needs:

1. To open the Proximity Sensor Control software click Start, All Programs, HP Proximity Sensor, HP and select HP Proximity Sensor.

Figure : Proximity Sensor Control Settings Window

2. Click the Sensitivity (Range) button to select either Maximum or Minimum range. Selecting Maximum will cause the keyboard to illuminate more often than the Minimum setting as the proximity sensor will be more sensitive.

3. Click the Delay until off button and select one of the following delay times:

• 10 Second(s)

• 1 Minute(s)

• 3 Minute(s)

The time you select is the time it takes for the keyboard illumination to turn off when not in use.

4. Click Apply.

5. Click OK to return to the Windows desktop.

Disabling the Proximity Sensor

In the event you want to turn off keyboard illumination, use the following steps to disable the Proximity Sensor:

1. Click Start, All Programs, HP Proximity Sensor, HP and select HP Proximity Sensor from the resulting list.

Figure : Using the Proximity Sensor Control Settings Window to disable

2. Select the Disable Proximity sensor box.

3. Click Apply.

4. Click OK to return to the Windows desktop.

This prevents the proximity sensor from illuminating the keyboard.

Technical Limitations

The following some known technical limitations of the proximity sensor:

• The proximity sensor only controls the keyboard backlight.

• Proximity sensor only activates the keyboard backlight on or off while the notebook is in use, not while it is in Sleep or Hibernate mode.

• The horizontal detection range of the sensor on the left side is smaller than the right side.

• If there is a flat white surface within 1.7 meters of the front of the display panel, the proximity sensor cannot deactivate the backlight even after you have moved away from the notebook.

• The detection distance for white cloth is larger than black cloth.

• The proximity sensor does not work outdoors in the sunlight.

• The horizontal detection angle of the sensor is reduced if the display panel is opened to angle exceeding 110 degrees.

• Cloth consisting of thick fabric may cause diffuse reflection, which reduces the detection range of the proximity sensor.

• The detection range might vary between different units.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for that information is quite detailed and great except it’s not my question I want to reduce the brightness of the back lighting not have it come on or off automatically that’s not the question I need somehow to have it not be so bright where it is distracting

HP Recommended

@Momentum123

I understand your concerns.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to change or reduce the keyboard backlight brightness.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.