Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant can't fully open after Windows Update:

July 31, 2020-KB4562899 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004

July 31, 2020—KB4568831 (OS Build 19041.423) Preview

SS10.jpg

What's the solution?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@golden79 

You have apparently migrated the Windows 10 version past where HP software and driver updates are available - that is, looking at the Software and Drivers category, there are no software and drivers rated for Windows 2004 (your new build / version).

Not sure what can be done.

In general, when the HP Support Assistant application (9.6.x) is not working, it can be Reset.

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Scroll down, Left-Click on HP Support Assistant > Select Advanced options

If Reset doesn't work, the application can be uninstalled, the computer Restarted, and a fresh copy of the app can be installed.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

The problem, if there is one, is that without support for Windows 2004, the HP Support application might not work - and if it does work (after the Reset or the re-installation of the application), the HP Support Assistant still can't update your drivers because it cannot find any supported drivers to install.

References and Information

What's new in Windows 10, version 2004 for IT Pros 

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert WAWood

Updating your laptop to Windows 10 v2004 -- May 2020 Update

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Spectre x360 - 15-df1033dx 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I attempted to reset the HP Support Assistant app, but it didn't resolve my problem with the app not completely opening.

The reset did appear delete my login and personal data.

The version of the installed HP Support Assistant app is 9.6.703.0.

The version of the HP Support Assistant on the HP Support software and driver download website is 9.5.262.0.

So, it appears that the version of the HP Support Assistance posted on the download website is an older and possibly obsolete version.

HP Support needs to get their act together. How long before HP Support supports the latest version of Windows 10?

HP Support should put a little effort into updating their software and driver download website.

HP Recommended

@golden79 

OK.

Understood.

Known so far:

• The version on the computer is "newer" than the version available on the HP Support Website for the software.
  • The version of 9.6.x that is installed on the computer is newer but does not work.
  • The version on the computer has not been uninstalled, though it has been Reset.
  • There are no Windows 10 2004 HP Software / Driver Updates available for the computer at this time.
  • You are unhappy with the process.  This is not meant as a dig, rather acknowledgement of your state of mind.

Final questions, if you are willing to answer...

>>> Did Windows 10 indicate your system was ready for Windows 2004 ?

OR

>>> Did you download and install the Windows 2004 update?

Ordinarily, updates of this magnitude (Windows 2004) are not installed until all HP software and drivers are updated and other Windows Updates have been completed.

>>> Did you attempt to update HP Software and Drivers (just) before Updating to Windows 2004?

>>> What is your BIOS version?

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

To answer your questions, yes, Windows Update presented the v2004 update at the end of May 2020. I was surprised to realize, after the update, that HP Support can't keep up with Windows Update and that it could take several months before HP Support supports the latest version of Windows 10. I think HP Support should have made it known that they don't support v2004 and cautioned HP customers from upgrading to v2004, because HP OEM software and device drivers are not available for v2004. Although, I think HP Support should be able to project an anticipated support date for v2004.

The v2004 update happened at the end of May 2020. My system was fully updated with Microsoft and HP updates at the time of the v2004 update.

The present BIOS version is F.22, dated 1 Jun 2020.

HP Recommended

@golden79 

OK.

I want to make sure I understand.

Windows 2004 was presented in Windows Updates in May 2020.

Agreed.

Did the update presentation change to indicate the Update was ready for your computer?

That is, did it change from "Learn More" to available for update?

Or

Did you go to deliberately download and install the Update from Microsoft?

Forgive the "pounding on the nail" - these are important distinctions.

Example of Windows Update for Windows 2004 - system not ready:

Windows_2004_Not_Ready_1Windows_2004_Not_Ready_1

Reference

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert WAWood

Updating your laptop to Windows 10 v2004 -- May 2020 Update

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The v2004 update was presented by Windows Update as an optional update. I never saw any announcement of a 2004 feature update "on its way" as depicted on your posted picture. There was no "change" in how it was presented. It just appeared 27 May 2020. I was not aware that there would be an HP Support problem with this update.

In fact, this v2004 feature update has exposed HP Support as a bunch of incompetent buffoons that appear to have been caught completely off-guard by the Microsoft update. Had I known that HP Support was not capable of supporting Windows 10, I would have never bought an HP laptop..

The v2004 update didn't appear to be an unusual update that required any special download. It was presented by Windows Update just like other optional updates. As I recall, it just appeared and indicated that it was ready to be installed.

I installed the v2004 update just like I install all Windows updates. There was no special or extraordinary effort to install the update. I did not have to go to the Microsoft website to install v2004. It was presented on 27 May 2020 in Windows Update under Settings.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I upgraded the OS from Windows 10 Home 64-bit immediately after I purchased this HP laptop. The v2004 update may have been presented differently in Windows 10 Home. I wouldn't know for sure, because I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

What other questions do you have?

HP Recommended

@golden79 

No more questions.

The thread has devolved into name calling.

I am withdrawing.

I will ask someone to attend.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Submitting Request for an Assist

• I have submitted a request that someone take a look at your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales or HP Service.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Note to those reading:

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.