Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4W0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I just need some clarification about the updates that are sent to my laptop by HP Support Assistant.

For example:

1) When I read the description of the update it says "for PC laptops running Windows 10"    I am running Windows 11.

2) It says "for laptops with backlit keyboard"      My laptop does not have that.🤔

I got the impression that the HP Support Assistant would only send updates relevant to my laptop ONLY. This is clearly not the case and could potentially cause issues if I downloaded and installed the wrong stuff.

Why is this so? Or maybe there is something I am missing?

Any guidance is appreciated.😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kissifur 

Welcome to the HP Community --

We are a Peer-to-Peer Forum for people who use HP Technology.

Sure - seems like a reasonable assumption.

I don't know whether the software works in the way you expect.

In truth, I no longer use HPSA -- I currently have all business class systems -- I use HPIA (HP Image Assistant) when I wish to automate the driver update check / installation process.

I've used the HPSA in the past.

My understanding of HPSA -- based on previous experience:

• HPSA will update currently installed Drivers and Software as compared to the list of the available updates (at HP) when it is clear to the HPSA application which version is relevant.
  • HPSA cannot always discern how to find or select the Operating System running on the computer as compared to the (HP) location where HPSA wants to source the "updates".   This is particularly the case when the Operating System running on the computer is not supported by the drivers / software in Software and Drivers.  This confusion can also be the result when there being more than one choice of OS version.  HPSA might choose wrong or perhaps not choose a Source at all (and hang / spin / balk / complain).
  • HPSA might (attempt to) download and install the wrong BIOS - this action might result in the BIOS not loading (as would be appropriate), the BIOS loading and bricking the computer, or anything in between.

If you wish to do so,

Join the many who decide -- for whatever reason -- to manually check and install drivers and updates.

You can also (instead) switch OFF the "Software Update Settings" (automatic updates) in HP Support Assistant > Settings

Doing helps you reclaim control over how and when updates are installed.

Example - HP Support Assistant - Settings

HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6

Manual Updates - Check / Compare /. Install

Open Category Software and drivers for HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4W0AV) 

Select Operating System = Windows

Select Version = Windows 11 -- OR -- If offered, Select the build level / version

Click to Open All Drivers

Select Open All

Sort by Release Date > Descending order (arrow pointing down)

The drivers listed are relevant to your computer's series of systems.

True - Not all drivers in the Software and Drivers list are for YOUR computer.

Check the drivers in the list compared to the installed drivers using the Device Manager,

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Tab View > Check Show hidden devices

Open Driver (for example Biometric Devices)

Right-Click on Driver > Select / open Properties

Tab Driver

Compare Driver version to the driver listed in system's support page Category Software and Drivers

Example - Device Manager - Check Driver (Fingerprint) in Software and Drivers compared to installed version

Device_Manager_Category_Software-and-Drivers_Check_1Device_Manager_Category_Software-and-Drivers_Check_1

References / Resources

Advanced users

System Information or other methods to help determine what is installed as compared to where and what you want to update.

Windows 10 -- Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Double-Click System Information

Windows 11 -- Control Panel > icon view > Windows Tools > Double-Click System Information

=== --- === --- === --- === --- ===

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos,

Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance

Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kissifur 

Welcome to the HP Community --

We are a Peer-to-Peer Forum for people who use HP Technology.

Sure - seems like a reasonable assumption.

I don't know whether the software works in the way you expect.

In truth, I no longer use HPSA -- I currently have all business class systems -- I use HPIA (HP Image Assistant) when I wish to automate the driver update check / installation process.

I've used the HPSA in the past.

My understanding of HPSA -- based on previous experience:

• HPSA will update currently installed Drivers and Software as compared to the list of the available updates (at HP) when it is clear to the HPSA application which version is relevant.
  • HPSA cannot always discern how to find or select the Operating System running on the computer as compared to the (HP) location where HPSA wants to source the "updates".   This is particularly the case when the Operating System running on the computer is not supported by the drivers / software in Software and Drivers.  This confusion can also be the result when there being more than one choice of OS version.  HPSA might choose wrong or perhaps not choose a Source at all (and hang / spin / balk / complain).
  • HPSA might (attempt to) download and install the wrong BIOS - this action might result in the BIOS not loading (as would be appropriate), the BIOS loading and bricking the computer, or anything in between.

If you wish to do so,

Join the many who decide -- for whatever reason -- to manually check and install drivers and updates.

You can also (instead) switch OFF the "Software Update Settings" (automatic updates) in HP Support Assistant > Settings

Doing helps you reclaim control over how and when updates are installed.

Example - HP Support Assistant - Settings

HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6

Manual Updates - Check / Compare /. Install

Open Category Software and drivers for HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4W0AV) 

Select Operating System = Windows

Select Version = Windows 11 -- OR -- If offered, Select the build level / version

Click to Open All Drivers

Select Open All

Sort by Release Date > Descending order (arrow pointing down)

The drivers listed are relevant to your computer's series of systems.

True - Not all drivers in the Software and Drivers list are for YOUR computer.

Check the drivers in the list compared to the installed drivers using the Device Manager,

Open Driver (for example Biometric Devices)

Right-Click on Driver > Select / open Properties

Tab Driver

Compare Driver version to the driver listed in system's support page Category Software and Drivers

Example - Device Manager - Check Driver (Fingerprint) in Software and Drivers compared to installed version

Device_Manager_Category_Software-and-Drivers_Check_1Device_Manager_Category_Software-and-Drivers_Check_1

References / Resources

Advanced users

System Information or other methods to help determine what is installed as compared to where and what you want to update.

Windows 10 -- Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Double-Click System Information

Windows 11 -- Control Panel > icon view > Windows Tools > Double-Click System Information

=== --- === --- === --- === --- ===

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos,

Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance

Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you! This reply was extremely helpful to me and I appreciate you taking the time to go into the details and offering solutions. Kudos to you! 😀🎉

HP Recommended

@Kissifur 

You are most welcome.

I am glad it helped.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.