Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook15-bs 1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my HP Notebook 15-bs 1xx for 8 months with no problems connecting to HP Support Assistant Chat in the past. Today I am receiving "Sorry, we encountered an error. Please try again or choose another contact option in HP Support Assistant". The only other problem I've been having is, I have not received an update or message in HP Support Assistant in over 2 months, but I have spoken to a support tech through chat about this issue in the past and was told everything seems to be fine. I still felt like I should have received something during that time, and I checked for an updated version of Support Assistant. I already had the current version, but I decided to install it anyway, thinking maybe it had gotten corrupted somehow. This is the first time I've tried to chat with a support tech since the reinstallation of Support Assistant. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TillieB 

I cannot help with Chat - our community has no way to determine whether it is working or not, nor do we know where it is available (outside of our own locations).  It is possible the service is just temporarily off-line. 

HP Support Assistant

If the simple "remove > download-save-install HPSA" does not work, you have the option to remove the software, andremove your personal settings (in the HPSA), and remove the HP Support Solutions Framework before installing a fresh copy of the software. Sometimes removing everything and then installing a fresh copy of the software can help resolve issues.  Sometimes the "complete" removal / install results in no discernible change in the software. 

Updates for your Computer - Manual Updates

Lots of people in the world opt (quite deliberately) to update and manage their own computers.  The tools to do so are available.

Before you remove the HPSA again, you should check your computer's Website Support.  As your computer ages (gets older), there are fewer and fewer "updates" for it.  This is normal.    In other words, you might not have missed anything at all.

I extrapolated the name of your computer from what you provided - if this is not your computer, simply click the blue link on the page that says "Choose a different product series"

HP 15-bs100 Laptop PC - Software and Drivers

• Expand the list (little boxes with a "plus" sign inside the box), peruse the list, check for updates.
  • If you find an update you want to install, download-save-install that update on your computer.
  • If you are unsure whether an update is already installed, check the version and compare it to the drivers already on your computer in the Device Manager.

Read > How-to Install Updates Document:

Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers

Personal Recommendation

BIOS Updates are fussy, sensitive, and always carry an element of risk.  BIOS updates are best done manually, should be installed by themselves, and should be installed only after you have your most critical files stored where they can be accessed if the computer becomes unavailable.  BIOS updates should only be installed when needed to resolve a problem or known issue.

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide how to proceed.

Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete" cleanup of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:

• When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

• HP Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA. If you intend to uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework (from Programs and Features), FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant and Restart the computer.  Uninstall Framework software from Programs and Features. Restart the computer and log in.  NOTE: Framework (re)installs with the HPSA.

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click and uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP 15-bs100 Laptop PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.