Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs20731cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I open HP Support Assistant a drop-down window Informs me there is an updated version available and do I want to update. If I download the update, a white screen appears with a spinning circle in the middle and it spins forever. If I close the assistant and re-open, it doesn't open but just displays the spinning circle.

* An HP Chat support assistant spent an hour in the morning taking control of my computer, installed a driver and indicated the problem was resolved. I watched him open the HP Support assistant and it displayed correctly. I then tried it myself while still on chat and it opened correctly. After our chat closed, I tried opening it again and just received the spinning circle.

*In the afternoon another HP Chat support assistant took control of my computer, uninstalled the Support assistant and attempted a new install which failed, I was then told that in order to resolve the problem I needed to re-set my computer, which would remove all of my installed software programs and then re-install the programs. I told the support agent I didn't want to do that and I would live without the HP Support Assistant.

After our chat ended, I tried to download the HP Support assistant and it downloaded and opened without any difficulty, I again received the notice that an updated version was available and did I want to download and install it? I did, and the spinning circle again appeared when I tried to open the support assistant. I uninstalled and re-installed the program and it opened with no problem. When I again downloaded the updated version, the spinning circle re-appeared and the assistant wouldn't open.  CONCLUSION:  As long as I say no, to the updated HP Support Assistant notice, the assistant opens without any problem. Two support agents could not resolve the problem with one telling me to reset my computer, start from scratch and redownload all of my software programs and then I partially resolved the problem myself having no advanced technical skills. 

Any suggestions to resolve this issue or should I just keep saying "No" to downloading the updated version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sistafatti

I understand your concerns and frustration with this issue

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sistafatti

I understand your concerns and frustration with this issue

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

The notebook I'm using is HP Pavilion 15-cs1053nb My notebook, with windows 10 version 1909.
The only extra hardware I'm using is a wireless computermouse.  I've already changed it with another mouse, but te problem with opening HP support assistent stays. I must try several times before the program opens correctly.

Extra installed software's are: MS OFFICE 2019, Malwarebytes, EaseUs todobackup, Syncbackfree.

Hopely you can find what the problem is, so that I will have a correcty working HP assistant.

Rooboo1.

I also have another question to ask.
Before this notebook I had another laptop HP 250g. By starting, using the first time, the system asked me to make 4 recovery cd's which I could use if I want te reinstall the laptop and him back in a factory installation.
The new notebook did not ask me to do this, so that I don't have such recovery cd's. On the website van HP I can't find a link how to make these.  Is there also a solution for this problem so that I such cd's for using them in the future, wo

HP Recommended

@rooboo1,

I recommend you uninstall HP support assistant from your computer and then download and install it from the below link and check.

Here is how it is done.

Download link: https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane.
  5. Select an app you wish to uninstall.
  6. Click the Uninstall button that appears. If it is grayed out, this is a system app you cannot remove.
  7. Click the Uninstall pop-up button to confirm.

Follow the steps in the below article to create recovery media for your computer.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for your reply. I tried an uninstall/reinstall several times with no success to resolve the problem. A tech support agent took control of my computer and also tried an uninstall/reinstall with no success.

I appreciate your time in providing a detailed step by step procedure. Thanks much

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.