Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
11-04-2020 09:05 PM
After a Windows Update, my HP Support Assistant crashed whenever I tried to open it. I noticed that my product's number, serial number, and model information were missing before it crashed. Here is what I have tried:
- I downloaded a new HP Support Assistant from HP website and tried to overwrite existing installation by reinstalling HP Support Assistant without uninstalling existing version. It didn't work and it still crashed.
- I uninstalled HP Support Assistant and tried to reinstall it using the installer I downloaded earlier. It failed to install with error 1605: "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."
- I stumbled upon an old post in the HP forum that recommended uninstalling HP Support Framework and tried to reinstall the HP Support Assistant again. I tried that and it didn't work. The installer returns the error 1605.
- I used HP Recover Manager and recovered the old HP Support Assistant. I can launch the HP Support Assistant but I can't update it. I notice that my product's number, serial number, and model information are missing.
To my lay person eyes, it seems that Windows Update somehow messed up the key entry for HP software to identify my product. Is there anyway I can fix this?
11-09-2020 11:11 AM - edited 11-09-2020 12:06 PM
Hi @hankas Please follow the steps below as we released a new version to fix this issue:
1. Right-Click on your Windows Stat Menu and click Apps & Features
2. Scroll down until you find HP Support Assistant
3. Click on Uninstall
4. A dialog will appear for "Keep Preferences", Click No
5. Close any browser window that may open up.
Note: If you don’t currently have HPSA installed and are seeing that message "A newer version of HPSA is installed" Please proceed with Step #6 below:
6. Go to our HPSA page: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html
7. Before you click on download HPSA button, press Ctrl+R button on your keyboard to clear any browser cache. Then click on the download button
8. Once downloaded, open the file and continue clicking Next button and let the installation finish. Once installed successfully, you should see a prompt "HP Support Assistant has been installed successfully"
9. Click on your start menu and type: HP Support Assistant or HPSA icon on Desktop and open the app and it should open normally as before.
Thank you for the patience as we worked through this issue and sincerely apologize to everyone's inconvenience.
11-09-2020 08:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have followed the steps and they do not work. I still encountered the same problem. I can't reinstall HPSA and the installer gives this error: "Error: -1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."
I notice that in the BIOS my product's serial number, model, etc. are still there. So, they are not gone.
I don't understand that error message. Does it mean the installer fails to recognize my laptop as an HP product?
11-09-2020 09:07 PM - edited 11-09-2020 09:08 PM
Hi @hankas could you navigate to this folder: C:\SWSetup\sp110939 and Right-Click on UninstallHPSA.exe and "Run as Administrator" after few seconds, double-click on Setup.exe file in the same folder and see if the installation works?
11-09-2020 11:00 PM
I tried and the installer still returned the same error message.
There is one minor difference from your instruction to the actual condition in my computer. I don't think it matters, but I will mention it anyway in case if it is useful. The file that I downloaded is sp110939.exe but as I run the installer the default path was C:\SWSetup\sp110422. So I ran the UninstallHPSA.exe from that folder since there is no C:\SWSetup\sp110939 in my computer.
I ran the uninstaller and when asked whether to keep my preferences I clicked no. My browser opened up an HP website asking for uninstallation reason, and I closed the browser. I restarted my computer. I ran the sp110939.exe and the installer returned the same error.