Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Notebook -14-df0023cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this laptop a few days ago. It came with Windows 10 in S mode. I was unable to update any drivers through Support Assistant with the app in S mode. HP allows a conversion to Windows 10 Home which I did. 

Afterwards when I ran the Support Assistant it was still the app that came with Wiindows S Mode. I uninstalled the app through settings. There was no listing for support assistant in Uninstall Programs.

Now when I try to install the Support Assistant (SP86979) V8.6.18.11  from the software and drivers section for this laptop it repeatedly tells me that there is a newer version of HP Support Assistant installed. Setup will now close. 

I'm in an endless loop.

How do I get the old app completely off and install the new support assistant? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@gulf421

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with Windows S mode and HP Support Assistant error, In windows S mode access are limited. While in S Mode, your PC can only install basic apps from the Store. This means you can only browse the web in Microsoft Edge.

Let's try this steps:

Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

1. On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
  2. In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
  3. On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

Once you've successfully exit out from S mode try and install HP support assistance. 

For more information from Microsoft on Windows 10 in S mode, see Introducing Windows 10 in S mode  (in English).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! I’m having this same problem not being able to switch out of S mode. I followed your instructions but when I get to activation, the only option is upgrade your edition of windows. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.