Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm not that familiar with HP Image Assistant. Is there a way to scan your computer to find drivers that need updates?

I'm trying it out right now and creating a driver package for one of the models of laptops we use.

HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

Edits - Add HPIA example near end of message

Original Content

I am not that familiar with HPIA, either.

I am using SDM for my four year old Zbook - lovely software but SDM been retired and only supports older products (those manufactured before SDM End-of-Life in July 2019).

Yes, HPIA will scan for necessary updates, at least when analyzed on the on the local machine and compared to the configuration at HP.

From the Image Assistant Web page:

======================================================================

Updated Content

I did not find anything earth-shattering different / significant using HPIA as compared to the SDM software.

My four year old Zbook is a bit stubborn about some of the presumed updates.  I tend to ignore anomalies simply because on this system, a few oddities are actually the "Normal" for this workstation.

Nonetheless, I was able to put together a simple example that shows the basics.

HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thanks! I appreciate the screenshot with instructions. I didn't find anything with user friendly instructions on HPIA on their website but I didn't look too hard.
That may provide a solution where I can image a laptop, install HPIA and have it compare, then download any missing updates so I can load them on our imaging server for future images.
I did create another post looking for someone to explain why HPSA doesn't have an option for driver updates on G6 laptops. I haven't gotten a solution yet.
HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

Yes, I saw you opened a new thread - good idea.

For those reading:

In general, the HPSA is generally not always the best tool for the job on a business computer.

HPIA for single machines (already discussed)

and

If you have not done so, consider

Multi-System Deployment - HP System Software Manager (HP SSM)

“The HP System Software Manager (SSM) is a utility that automatically detects and updates BIOS, device drivers, and management agent versions on your networked PCs.”

SSM – Download, Release Notes, User Guide link

I cannot provide any "real world" examples of SSM - the last time I was configuring and deploying systems, Windows was a baby OS and the world was running on Unix.  Smiling.

References

Business Class Software Update Managers

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for the suggestion of HP SDM (HP SoftPaq Download Manager). I'm trying it out and I like the simplicity of it. It looks like it does have recent devices listed as it does show our G6 laptops.

HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

I was actually suggesting SSM (no "D").  Smiling.

I was trying to save you heartache later.  Silly Dragon.

Yes, per the documentation, you can use SDM for any systems manufactured before EoL for SDM (July 2019).

In my opinion, SDM is really nice software - sturdy, easy to manage, and straight forward. 

I am using SDM on my four year old Zbook.

I will miss SDM when I upgrade to new tech (should have done by now - lazy).

So, use SDM while you can do so.

Keep the limits in mind - newer tech will necessitate moving on to newer update software.

So, a solution is afoot.

Single System Management Software – Softpaq Download Manager

SDM (at this writing) still supports many business class systems manufactured prior to the software's EOL (End of Life) announcement. 

The SDM software is no longer listed in Client Management Solutions.

NOTICE:  The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

White Paper on the subject (document may or may not load - access appears to be temperamental).  If the file does not open, try copy/paste of the address into your browser address bar (URL).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SDM_EOL.pdf

Partial Excerpt of the SDM "End of Life" PDF file content:

Confidentiality
This document can be shared internally & externally.

Introduction
HP is retiring HP SoftPaq Download Manager (HP SDM) on July 31st, 2019, it will be replaced by HP Image Assistant.

break...

Except continues:

Will I be able to continue to use SDM?
Yes, SDM, will continue to work and have access to updates (SoftPaqs) for older
products launched before July 31st, 2019. SoftPaq Download Manager will not be tested
with new product launched after July 31st, 2019. HP recommends using HP Image
Assistant to access updates to new products.

SDM Download and Help

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.