Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

The HP Support Assistant software stopped from working in my HP probook notebook laptop, so I removed it and tried to download it again into my laptop. But when trying to download the software again it requires administrational rights, which I have, so how could I get the software downloaded into my computer? With thanks and regards, MS.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mrsuomin 

Installing ANYTHING on your PC will require Admin rights -- that is how Windows now works.  You supply your password and the installation continues.  I don't see the issue.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your kind reply and information.

I am signed into my computer as administrator, also I am signed into HP Support into my account. When I try to install the HP Support Assistant software it requires admin rights from me, even if I am signed in as an administrator into my PC, and I am signed in to HP Support from where I have downloaded the software.

Might there be any solution how I could install the software into my computer? This admin rights issue started when my computer was updated into Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 in Nov. 2020. First it occurred so that the HP Support Assistant software started not working properly, so I removed it and downloaded it again into my computer from HP sites. After I had done this the software worked well/correctly for c. 24 hours and then it turned into non-working/corrupted version, which also looked different than the original software which I had downloaded into my computer, as it seemed to have lacked some features. I removed it and downloaded it c. three times into my computer after which the admin issue appeared via which I could no longer install the software on my computer since it asked administrational rights from me, each time I try to install it into my computer, although I am the administrator of my PC.

The software´s downloading goes well but this happens always when I try to install the software.

So, has anyone else had this typed of an issue with the software (after Windows 10 updates in the end of last year) and if so have there been any suggestions for solutions for this? I would like to have HP Support Assistant software installed on my HP Probook Notebook PC since it is very good and handy software as it informs the computer´s updates, also the BIOS pudate, and it has very good tools for solving and correcting computer issues with connectivity, battery health check, system check, cleaning chaches etc., so I really would like to have this software on my computer if it is possible. So, might you know anyone who could maybe help me with this?

With kind regards and thanks again for your reply and help, MS.

HP Recommended

@Mrsuomin 

Actually, unless you went to the trouble to UNHIDE the actual Administrator's account, which you would probably have mentioned if you did, you are NOT signed in as the Administrator.  This is a common misconception.  Since the Windows 7 day, MS stopped creating Admin accounts and instead, what you have is a general user account with some Admin rights -- but NOT the rights to install applications.  For that, you need the Trusted Installer, and for that, you have to provide a password.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.