Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have a Spectre x360 15 laptop and an HP Envy desktop, and both are running fine. My issue is with the HP Support Assistant software that is installed on both computers. The one on the laptop informs me that the laptop is up to date, but there are 19 upgrades necessary on the desktop. When I run Support Assistant on the desktop, it informs me that the desktop is up to date, but there are (you guessed it) 19 upgrades necessary on the laptop.

Other than ignoring Support Assistant altogether, is there any means to have it, or the servers it's pulling from, updated to show an accurate status on each system?

So far, my only option has been to say, "Go home, Support Assistant. You're drunk."

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BobV55 

Discussion / Personal Observations

HP Support Assistant is not best used as a "remote monitor" for "other" (not local) machines and their updates.

HPSA is not drunk - the software just has limitations on what it reports back from the "not local" machines.

Not ideal, I know, but there we are.

If you remove the "not local" device from the local installation of the HPSA and then re-add it, the report will likely be OK temporarily.  At some point the information for the "other" machine will again be incorrect.

Best use:

Log into each machine on which you are using the HP Support Assistant to see the results for that computer / device.

At least for HPSA versions 8.x:

•  HPSA is not able to find uninstalled software that might need installation. 
  • HPSA is an "update" software and cannot search out software and drivers that are not already on the system.

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BobV55 

Discussion / Personal Observations

HP Support Assistant is not best used as a "remote monitor" for "other" (not local) machines and their updates.

HPSA is not drunk - the software just has limitations on what it reports back from the "not local" machines.

Not ideal, I know, but there we are.

If you remove the "not local" device from the local installation of the HPSA and then re-add it, the report will likely be OK temporarily.  At some point the information for the "other" machine will again be incorrect.

Best use:

Log into each machine on which you are using the HP Support Assistant to see the results for that computer / device.

At least for HPSA versions 8.x:

•  HPSA is not able to find uninstalled software that might need installation. 
  • HPSA is an "update" software and cannot search out software and drivers that are not already on the system.

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you! I'll give that a try, and see if that works. It's certainly not a critical issue, just a confusing one.

HP Recommended

@BobV55 

You are welcome.

My Opinion...

HPSA is nice software - better than nice, actually, considering what it is written to do.  

Not perfect.

Stay safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.