Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yes I agree that I have drifted "off track" on this discussion, however I had widened it, in passing, to include similar experiences with other 'support tools'.

That brings us full circle to my original problem that is HPSA doesn't show me anything, once it runs, despite it showing 7 or so messages and updates in the opening screen. I don't need to 'trash' anything because it appears to trash itself. and I don't get a chance to see them even.

No matter.

Thanks again for your support.

Tony F.

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

Full circle indeed.

There are so many things that can go wrong with update software.  Curious,  years ago, I spent a bit of my life looking into all the ways that (a much older version of) the HP Support Assistant might succeed - or might fail.  Although much of what the software does is not unique, the magnitude of what the code is doing is lost on most people.  (OK, I'm biased - left over from another time.)

Sometimes things stop working; the tendency - sometimes correct - is to blame HP, blame the code, and decide all is lost (also sometimes correct).

Things to try - none of which are guaranteed, any of which might have an impact on what you do, what you see, how things work, what you understand...

• First:  Open HPSA > Settings > Switch OFF the "automatic" installation. 

Side Bar:  My advice is to leave it that way.  Automatic updates are (in my opinion) insidious.  Again, I admit to bias on the subject.

• If you are using it, temporarily switch OFF  Fast Start on your computer.  Shut down the computer.
  • Restart everything on your network, including your router.
  • After everything is booted, log into your computer.

If you have not done so, consider

Download and Install HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

Read the important information on the Website, then Download and install the free version of Belarc Advisor

Close extraneous programs (Facebook, games, "things" that are not relevant to the present endeavor).

Run Belarc  NOTES:  If necessary, let it update itself, wait for it to complete (let it finish the network bits, this is interesting although not strictly relevant to the current results).  Takes a bit, maybe a minute or two at most.

Belarc  results will open in your browser - open the view > leave the results page open as reference

In another tab (or window) on your browser, open your Software and Drivers  support website.

On that page, Click Open all

Leave the page open as reference

Open HPIA

Leave the program / software set at whatever defaults you find

Analyze the system (takes a couple of minutes - not long...)

Open the horizontal window of the software across your screen (to see more columns)

Open Tab Recommendations 

Next to the word "Critical" open the drop-down menu and try the various settings to see changes in behavior

Example

HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2

Check the HPIA recommendations against the results in Belarc and the entries in Software and Drivers

NOTE:  In some cases you may have installed newer drivers than those found in Software and Drivers - this is normal.  "Newer" drivers might be the result of bulletins, updates asked for and received on the community (we can occasionally find newer updates for certain applications), updates you have found yourself (on the net, at Microsoft, "other").  Handle this information how you wish; the subject is outside the scope of this message.

Finally,

If you like, open SDM, let it "Check for Updates".

Ignore / remove / otherwise "disengage" unwanted updates from the list

In HPIA, no action needed, although you can use the software to analyze, install updates, learn about what the software can tell you and what it can do for you.

So, what about HPSA?

Still the same answer - the software may not work , may work for a while and then stop , may never work for a particular computer.

Reasons vary, and including and not limited to those already noted and...

• Changes or oddities in your Windows File System (want to play?  Open the Event Viewer and start digging)
  • Issues in the long Internet journey between your computer and the HP server(s) used to manage the updates
  • Issues in your local network - possible and at least easier to track (examine your router logs)
  • Migrating the Windows Version beyond what is supported by HP - current example:  Windows 2004
  • Other reasons, not listed

I do enjoy the subject - I just don't have the answers you seek.

I don't even use HPSA except for testing and checking for other users - I have business class machines.

We contribute our work for free - remember that Experts are not agents or employees of HP.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, once again, for your patient and comprehensive response.

I certainly don't "blame" anyone, as you put it, for this problem, but you will have sensed my frustration generally. It seems to me that the deeper I get into technology the more troubled I become. I understand why aeroplanes crash because of failed systems.

I also appreciate fully that this is a forum run by, and for, Hewlett Packard computer users, and I am thankful for the assistance that you offer, in your own time.

I worked as a mainframe/minicomputer hardware engineer back in the 1980's so I'm not entirely at a loss to understand the basics at least. Having said that, a little bit of knowledge can take you a long way - not always in the right direction (smiley face). 

I will continue to digest what you have presented to me.

Regards

Tony F.

Wellington

New Zealand.

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

You are welcome.

There is a lot to know.

Back in the  early1980's I was embarking on a path in IT .  Smiling.

Well, have fun with it - most of the bits will sort themselves and some of what doesn't sort can be ignored.

What?  Yes, "home office" is not the same as Corporate Office - do your best and forgive the rest.

When / If you hit a roadblock, we can try and assist.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.