Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So I followed the instructions and when I pressed the link, it saved the installer to drive c.   I am not convinced it is installed though.  When I managed to locate it in drive c, every time I clicked on something, another zillion subfiles appeared.  How do I make sure it is actually installed.   Thank you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BradW1 wrote:

I guess I was not clear.  It saved the file but did not offer to run it.  When I locate it in the directory, there are like zillions of subfile under the same heading.   How do I run the files?   Do I go to directory and click them all individually?  Please excuse my ignorance.    Do you understand my question?  

It appear you may possibly have file extensions for known files turned off. The file you downloaded from HP is an executable self extracting archive, you double click on it and let it extract, then take note of the NUMBERS in the file name it should start with sp and then have a string of numbers, find the directory under windows\swsetup\ that matches the file you just downloaded. Inside that directory is a setup or install (I honestly forget which) file you need to run to install the new 3D DriveGuard. I don't know what else to tell you or how else to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BradW1 wrote:

So I followed the instructions and when I pressed the link, it saved the installer to drive c.   I am not convinced it is installed though.  When I managed to locate it in drive c, every time I clicked on something, another zillion subfiles appeared.  How do I make sure it is actually installed.   Thank you.  

once you extract the files, allow it to use the directory it wants to. Then you have to run the install file it created.

HP Recommended

I guess I was not clear.  It saved the file but did not offer to run it.  When I locate it in the directory, there are like zillions of subfile under the same heading.   How do I run the files?   Do I go to directory and click them all individually?  Please excuse my ignorance.    Do you understand my question?  

HP Recommended

@BradW1 wrote:

It appear you may possibly have file extensions for known files turned off. The file you downloaded from HP is an executable self extracting archive, you double click on it and let it extract, then take note of the NUMBERS in the file name it should start with sp and then have a string of numbers, find the directory under windows\swsetup\ that matches the file you just downloaded. Inside that directory is a setup or install (I honestly forget which) file you need to run to install the new 3D DriveGuard. I don't know what else to tell you or how else to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.