Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-31-2022 07:49 AM - last edited on 10-31-2022 01:16 PM by MayS
I've downloaded and installed app "HP PC Diagnostic Hardware" on my Envy notebook. However, when I try to start the program, I get a DOS command prompt and an error box: "HP Cannot access the specified device. You may not have permission. . . ." I am the only user; I am the the Administrator; I have manually taken control ("Permissions") of all folders & files and drives.
I have (1) re-downloaded and reinstalled; (2) run file and drive error diagnostics (none found); (3) done a deep virus check with Avast and Malwarebytes; and (4) done a "cold boot" by removing and re-installing the battery.
Anyone know why HP's software won't work on an HP computer?
11-18-2022 08:07 AM
Welcome to the HP support community.
I understand that the HP diagnostics app is not working, I am glad to assist you.
Update the Bios, chipset, and drivers using HP Support Assistant.
Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here
- HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook
- Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
- Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
- Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
- Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
- Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
Also, ensure Windows is up to date.
- Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available
Let me know how it goes.
To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.
I am an HP Employee
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community