Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

HPIA's offline mode is a major improvement.
However, it requires write access to the repository which is not suitable from a security point of view.
Is a corrected version planned soon? (or beta version?)

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

At least for me, it´s not just a security concern, is a pure functionality problem, since in my corporative environment it´s not possible to Write in a Share from a SYSTEM account.

TaskScheduled running as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"
HPIA /Debug:
Exception (Handled): Denied Access to the path `\\MyServerFQDN\DriverStore\Hp\ProDesk600G2\.repository\cache\offline\platformList.cab´

Exception (Handled): Denied Access to the path `\\MyServerFQDN\DriverStore\Hp\ProDesk600G2\.repository\cache\offline\8169_64_10.0.1803.cab´

It refers to two cab files, wich are essentially a zipped file and from my point of view, seems to me like it´s trying to unzip both in the UNC path, instead of download them locally, unzip and read them there, where a system account can interact always with the fileSystem without restrictions.
That´s a poor behaviour for an Enterprise target designed tool.

Any Workaround? Please ASAP!

HP Recommended

Take this into account...

That´s the seen behaviour, even if I define the parameters "/SoftpaqExtractFolder:C:\HPIA\DOWNLOADS\EXTRACT" & "/SoftPaqDownloadFolder:C:\HPIA\DOWNLOADS"

HP Recommended

During my tests, I used ProcMon.
At different times, the program first requests read access to the cab files, then a second request for writing.
It's this second request who fail.
By giving the necessary rights, there is never write to the shared folder. So write access requests have to be replaced by read access requests and everything should work as expected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing that info with us. So now it´s clear like a sunny day.
If it request write, but finally don´t write anything, seems to me like at a Beta development point that function was retired for obvious reasons, but maybe somethings remains somewhere like an annoying appendix.
I´m reporting this also at...
https://developers.hp.com/hp-client-management/forum/questions-about-hpiascriptlibrary-offlinemode#c...

So I can live with that behaviour, but my primary issue is...
It´s not working even if I set requeried permissions to "Domain Computers" or "everyone" or "anonymous logon" at both, NTFS and Share permissions level. When I trigger HPIA with a scheduled task running as SYSTEM account, always fail with an Access Denied error.
So I´m stuck and I need to make it work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.