Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 13-ar0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there any way to reduce the hardware reserved RAM?

Official answer from AMD is that you can do that, but HP has its BIOS locked down so there is no option...

Why? It's pretty disgusting to see and 8GB model which has 2GB reserved for the VEGA, which means only 6GB is usable. 

EDIT: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1032955-reduce-allocated-vram-on-ryzen-mobile/

According to this, the previous iteration 2700U had its VRAM reduced to 1GB, which would work for me honestly, but this does not exist for 3700U?

Is there an ACTUAL HP employee that could look into this and if not let us choose VRAM, at least reduce it to 1GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!

For anyone new here, NEVER EVER ORDER AN HP LAPTOP!

I just left HP and will never return.

I ordered a Thinkpad T14 instead, with Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD with more ports, and a better display. With student discount is was around $100 more for what I paid for this laptop. What a joke! And on Lenovos BIOS I can at least configure VRAM and set it to 1GB instead of the useless never used 2GB as HP does on their 8GB(!!!) laptops. UNUSEABLE!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Same here! I have no idea why I bought a HP with 8GB but only 5,88GB is usable. Also, The window need more than 2GB in total for system so I have only 3GB left, 3GB of memory in 2020? What a joke!?

HP Recommended

Hopefully HP does something about this, but I highly doubt it.

HP Recommended

@WSEOIT I would appreciate if you could specify which model you have, because the complete model name would help identify the components of your device, so I can provide accurate solution to your concern:

That said, I checked your link and it seems a BIOS update helped the user, if you've not checked that yet: click here to find and install the same

If that didn't work, there's no setting as such we can change on a hardware level, we'll have to wait for another BIOS release to sort this, and there's no information on when the next would be released.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

I have 13-ar0000no, and I have already updated to the latest bio.

Is this something you could bring up for the HP Software Team?

HP Recommended

@WSEOIT

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

To conclude, the VRAM on your PC is already shared with a specific value and its locked and cannot be changed.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, but limiting those options is rather crippling performances. 
I have used the laptop for a year and have never reached above a gigabyte, so it hurts the performance instead considering you only have 6GB, and 2 of them are for Windows Processes.

You think you are making us a favor, but trust me, you don't.

Can you at least tell me if the laptop has upgradable RAM? I'd like to know if either 2 or 1 slots are soldered.

HP Recommended

@WSEOIT

This Notebook has onboard Ram which is soldered. So you will not be able to upgrade the Ram

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, that's a shame.

Will either throw the laptop away or give it to my mom and I'll buy a Lenovo ThinkPad.

I am done with HP for good.

So many pathetic decisions made both by the whole company

HP Recommended

@WSEOIT

I understand your concerns and frustration with the Product

I can escalate your case to HP's Regional Escalation Team

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.