Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi my notebook's special function keys stopped working, for example, the F2 and F3 for brightness control doesnt work, f5 for keyboard lights etc. all of them do not work, even if i press Fn+F key or fn+ alt + f key. 

However the usual browser functions work, such as F5 for refresh, which is annoying because i want it to light my keyboard. Outside of browsers, they do not have any function. please help

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shutdown the notebook.

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

If the problem still persists, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP System Event Utility and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download and reinstall the HP System Event Utility from the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79450.exe

When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

hi thanks for your response!

I managed to fix the problem a few minutes after, by disabling microsoft edge and its annoying function key shortcut  settings, and killed it on task manager. It just somehow started functioning again, so I must've disabled the function keys without knowing and enabled them again. 

Also the battery on my HP envy cannot be removed since its screwed/built into the bottom, unlike usual notebooks where u can just take the battery out easily by sliding. 

HP Recommended

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks a lot! 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

This functions deletes your operating system. I would not suggest following this unless you have your original discs. 

HP Recommended

Good day,,,

the function keys are functioning normally except for the audio playing function keys located on F9, F10, F11. 

would you please advise the best way to solve this problem ?

Your assistance is highly appreciated

Best Regards´

Mudar Farzat 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.