Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
K7Q21EA HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been hapy with my laptops - I have 2 of the same model - K7Q21EA HP Pavilion 15.

Had for 2/3 years. Happy still.

Recently, one of them is sluggish.

I dont really fancy a complete reinstall - unlless I have to.

What programs are there that will check for rubbish on my computer?

If nothing else, clean my registry and make it more optimal + run other options to help speed up?

I have Kaspersky on one and Mcafee on the other.

AND, I am very very very very careful about websites visited - I am the only user.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am going to try to help you with a "summer cleanup" of your PC.

First we will perform a disk cleanup using the OS. So open a folder and on the list on the left right-click on the c: drive and click on properties. Now click on disk cleanup and wait for the calculation.

1.JPG

In the next windows choose to clean system files (in the lower left hand corner).

2.JPG

Wait once again for calculation and in the windows that appears checkmark all the unnecessary files, such as temp files, old updates, caches etc...) and click on OK.

Next we are going to uninstall any programs you do not use. So right-click on start and click on programs and features. Take a look at the list and see if there are unnecessary programs in the list. Double-click on the ones you do not need and follow uninstall procedure.

Now we will take a look at the programs which start-up togrther with windows. So, right-click on the application bar (the bar at the bottom of desktop) and click on Task manager. Now go to tab startup:

3.JPG

Here disable any programs which you do not need to start together with computer. You can launch them when they are needed.

Now we are going to install Ccleaner which will clean your browsers and temporary files. We will remove the "active monitoring from this program so that even if you leave it installed it will not be constantly using resources. So download and install Ccleaner from here. (choose the free edition)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

After you have installed and run the program go to options and the tab monitoring and remove the checkmarks from active monitoring and system monitoring, since we do not want the program to always be active.

4.JPG

Now go back to "cleaner" in the menu on the left and click on run cleaner in the lower left of the Window. Close the program once finished. You can leave this program installed and use once in a while.

Next we are going to run an anti-malware program which will delete any malware and also any PUPs (potentialy unwanted programs) which are sometimes downloaded while surfing on internet. We will use two programs by Malwarebytes.

So first download and install Malwarebytes anti-malware (the free edition or the pro edition which is on trial for 30 days) from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Run the program and let the definitions be updated. Run the scan and wait for the results. At the end remove all the malware detected and wait until all has been removed. You might need to reboot if prompted. Run the program again and go to the heading History and in Quarantine click on delete all.

5.JPG

Reboot the PC and then uninstall the program. We do not want it to run constantly. You can reinstall the next time you want to perform a cleanup.

Now we will install and run the Adware cleaner by Malwarebytes which will clean your Browsers. So download and run:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Perform the scan and delete all the problems found by the program.

Next try to see if all your programs are up to date, especially antivirus programs (not only definitions, but the program itself). There will be the option from the dashboard of the antivirus. Also go into settings and see if Windows 10 is up to date and that there are no problems with the installation of updates.

I also see on the HP support page for your PC that there is a BIOS updtae from May 2017, you could also instyall this.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

system software Manager Icon
F.53 Rev.A26.2 MBMay 15, 2017

from here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-p100-notebook-pc-series/7234915/mode...

Now see if the computer runs better.

For further speed in everyday performance you could consider upgrading to an SSD which will greatly improve overall speed of the PC.

As you can see I did not include a registry cleaner since it will not have an effect on the speed of the PC and should not be used unless there is an actual known problem with the registry.

Anyway let me know how it works out and if you need any further help,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.