Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ax201no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I am playing the occasional games on my pc. The problem is that when I am playing CS:GO I need to use the f1 and f2 keys respectively to vote "YES" og "NO" to a given vote - my team and I depend on this vote. Problem is, that when I use the f1 key I automatically get thrown to the desktop opening the "help browser" for hp. I need this disabled. I am by no means experienced in navigating on windows10 and I need some explicit guidance.
Ty in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @kielzoar,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to disable the F1 help function on the keyboard.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

I recommend you to configure different keys in the game to vote instead of F1 keys as it is simpler to do.

If you want to disable the F1 helps function follow below steps.

Create a restore point.

start > run > regedit

search for this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE

Double click on Default and change the path to any dummy executable that does nothing.

Click ok and restart.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your kindness. I have tried to follow your instructions, but I seem to run into a problem.

I have prior to posting this question found that same solution on the internet. Problem being that I dont have a HELPCTR.EXE folder under APP PATHS - and yes, I have checked thoroughly, that I have followed the correct folders.

Is there any alternate folder to change the f1 key? 

BTW, I dont think there is a solution to change the vote hotkey ingame.

HP Recommended

Hi @kielzoar,

I found a third party link which helps in disabling the F1 help function.

How to Stop F1 Key from Opening Help (Bing) in Windows 10 and 11 » Winhelponline

NOTE: This is not an HP recommend solution please try at your own risk.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You It Works Now I Can Play Better ❤️

HP Recommended

The solution to this is described here, in HP's own documents (Thanks to admin Banhien for the solution btw): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

The original thread, where I found the solution from:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/how-to-remove-hotkeys-like-f1-f2-f3-f4/m-p...

It looks like you have bypassed the "FN" key, which is usually required in combination with the (F)unction keys to use the built-in HP special functions. In order to fix this and enable the FN-key-combination you need to boot up your PC and then press F10 to access the BIOS settings. Then do accordingly to the above linked document.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.