Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8440p
Linux

PLEASE READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE RESPONDING. TIRED OF GETTING RESPONSES THAT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE WRITTEN BY A BOT! 

Hello everyone, I would like to ENABLE (NOT DISABLE!!!) my fingerprint scanner, so that way I can use my fingerprint as opposed to using a CMOS password on boot-up.

I am not interested in installing Windows so please don't bother wasting my time about that like another poster tried doing last time, windows uses over 5x as much RAM as a normal GLIBC Linux distro, and over 7x as much as a MUSL-LIBC Linux distro, Linux also gets far superior battery power & all-around performs FAR better.

I want to enable the fingerprint scanner to be an option on boot-up so I can scan my finger instead of typing in my password, but I don't know how to enable the fingerprint scanner on boot-up in the BIOS settings, so what I would like to know is how do I enable the fingerprint scanner in the BIOS????

What options must I click on in the BIOS settings to get my fingerprint scanner working as an alternative to the boot-up CMOS password? That's all I'd like to know. 

I am asking how to enable it in the BIOS, so that means you don't have to waste our time trying to convince me that installing Windows is the only way. If you don't know what a CMOS password is then please don't waste our time.

If I create a user in User Management, the only options I am given are 
"Reset Password"
"Delete Account"
"Cancel"
How do I even set the password for the user? I already have a CMOS password for my harddrive("DriveLock"), I just want to get this fingerprint scanner working, and I think the user account management is part of it... I just don't know what to do with it... I just know how to create a user in "user account management" but then it gives me no options to set a password or anything of that sort.. Resetting the password won't let me enter a new one either, so..... that's why I am here asking.

I know that when I bought this laptop, it had fingerprint scanning already enabled when trying to go into the BIOS system settings. I would like to re-activate it but with my fingerprint, I don't know how to do this!! please someone help me!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Where did I swear? 

Isn't part of the rules of participation to read what I have written before replying to it? 

Its not fair that I get bombarded with nonsense when I am asking a specific question, every time I ask a question on these forums I get nothing but irrelevant nonsense.

I want to know how to enable the fingerprint scanner inside of the BIOS settings. The BIOS settings had a fingerprint scanner already activated when I got it. So I have to use my windows harddrive just to get the fingerprint scanner working? That's ridiculous. Wow. Why isn't there a way to put my fingerprint into the system in the BIOS??? -.- 

And advising me to install windows just to do that then go back to Linux is horrible advice.

I would like to get this fingerprint scanner working. Can you please give me the links to the software I need???? I'll put my windows harddrive into the computer -.- pretty rediculous you guys only support Windows, objectively windows sucks, it takes over 5x as much RAM just while idling, and over 7x as much RAM when compared to MUSL-LibC LINUX

The only reason I have dual-boot on my desktop is because games, other than game support Linux is all-around better at everything.

How do I make it so that it requires my fingerprint on boot-up? I have my fingerprint registered in the system now, but it boots up without even prompting me for a password / fingerprint. so how do I make this work??? I want it to prompt me for a password/fingerprint on boot-up.

Where is the option to do this???? -.- 

Now that I have the fingerprint scanner working, I want it to prompt me for a CMOS boot-up password, I'd like to avoid using DriveLock if possible...

Security > TPM Security > Power-On Authentication Support

and then it has to boot into Windows after this setting has been enabled & the HP security thing has to be run, then the harddrive can  be swapped back out for the Linux one.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Man do you even read what I have written? I am starting to get really sick of this! 

I WANT TO ENABLE

FINGERPRINT

SCANNER

IN

THE

BIOS

SETTINGS

IN

THE

BIOS

AS

A

CMOS

POWER-ON

ALTERNATIVE

COMPRENDE?

& I Don't even use UBUNTU or an UBUNTU-based distro, I use Arch & Void, but that is IRRELEVANT BECAUSE I WANT TO ENABLE THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER TO WORK IN THE BIOS!!!! OMG! PLEASE READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE REPLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already tried to compile "fingerprint-gui" but 1. can't make it compile even with all the dependencies and 2. won't matter because I don't have the driver for the fingerprint reader in the first place. I have fprint_demo which is a GUI that shows whether or not the fingerprint scanner is working properly, and of course it isn't working because I don't have the driver for it, but THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO MY QUESTION. I WOULD LIKE TO ENABLE FINGERPRINT SCANNER IN THE BIOS SETTINGS.

If you don't understand what a "CMOS password" or a "power-on password" is, then I don't think you can help me because you fundamentally don't understand what I am asking! I just want the fingerprint scanner to work on boot-up like a CMOS/"power-on" password, this should not require any software, I should be able to enable it from within the BIOS!!!!!!!! I can't make a HP protecttools user so I figure it has something to do with that...

I don't understand how there isn't a way to enable the fingerprint scanner from within the BIOS.... How do I do it??? That's all I'm asking for christ sakes!!! 

HP Recommended

@Gnomesayin

It can't be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Protection against unauthorized access

To help protect the computer from unauthorized access, HP adds preboot authentication to its business notebooks. Preboot authentication is required immediately after turning on the computer and before the OS boots. Preboot authentication also provides protection against attacks that take advantage of the ability to boot from a device other than the primary hard drive.

Preboot authentication can be configured by using the BIOS setup or the ProtectTools software.

BIOS setup—A user configures a password for authentication. At power-on, the system prompts the user for the password and allows the boot process to continue if the correct password is entered. If the user configures the preboot authentication password using the BIOS, the password is independent of the user’s Windows logon password and does not allow the One-Step Logon process that is available in ProtectTools.

ProtectTools software—Password authentication or other biometric authentication, such as fingerprint or facial recognition, is configured. This authentication enables the One-Step Logon process for preboot and Windows authentication.

Your BIOS manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03453264

Good luck,

REO

HP Recommended

@Gnomesayin

Everyone, including our Experts and those seeking help on the forum are required to adhere to the Rules of Participation that governs our conduct in the forum.

We are volunteers -- yelling, swearing, and similar behavior is useless and is against our policies.

Thanks for understanding that this is a proccess and we all need reminders on occasion.

OK...

NOTES: 

1. Please forgive any errors -- I am typing this on-the-fly; I freely admit that this is never a good idea.
  2. If I have mis-understood what you are asking, or if I have provided information you cannot use or that you believe to be false: Simply ignore my post and move on.  Thanks.
  3. I do not engage in shouting matches.
  4. I do intend that my participation be helpful.

It appears that you understand system-run-level for Linux / Unix based Operating System.  Regardless of what OS you are using -- certain functions are available when the computer is in a particular state.  For example, the network is not connected in any form of "single user" mode.

I do not believe you can use the BIOS to log onto the system as "you".  This includes "you" as a fingerprint.  BIOS is simple and does not differentiate between "you" and "me".  We are nothing more than a key entry system (text / numbers / maybe symbols).

I believe the following to be true, though the precise context is likely "full of holes".

Commentary

The Fingerprint Driver and the Software to enable the Operator to logon using the fingerprint reader run (are accessed by the Operator) in the Operating System Level.  This is the "final / highest boot" level where whatever software is available can be accessed on the computer by the Operator.

In (HP business grade system) BIOS, the fingerprint reader hardware (and / or other components) might be enabled / disabled.  This is a security feature meant to restrict the use of this hardware on those environments where such restrictions are necessary for tighter security.

If the BIOS does not include a fingerprint hardware enable / disable component, the reader is always enabled.  For example, fingerprint hardware is enabled by default in consumer grade BIOS where fewer of the BIOS options are available for configuration.

The fingerprint Driver (software to interface with the hardware) allows the fingerprint reader to be used by Software that interacts with the Operator (user of the computer).  

The fingerprint reader Driver and the logon Software are available to the operator after the Operating System boots.

You can enable the component hardware in a BIOS that supports the option.

You need to be on a higher run level to use the fingerprint reader to log into the Operating System.

Why?  Because the BIOS is not smart enough to read fingerprints nor does it know what to do with a fingerprint if it could "see" one.

If you want to use fingerprint logon:

• Do not enable SureKey (if that is a "thing" in the BIOS) and likely do not encrypt the drive (if it is available on the BIOS level).  Forgive outright blunders, I don't work on this level very often.

• The system must be booted to the Operating System level, that is, where the user / operator can enter his credentials (password, userid, fingerprint, whatever).

• You need a based kernel / fingerprint reader Driver to interact with the fingerprint reader and with the software (used to configure and manage the logon).

• You need a software program to interface with the Operator (GUID or command line based) so you can configure the logon.  For example, the program would be used to "enroll" or add a fingerprint to the security software so the authorized user (userid, enrolled fingerprint, underlying password, "you" as an individual entity) can log into the computer.

Neither the compiled Driver nor the software you seek are likely available here on the forum.  This is largely a Windows-centric group.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Where did I swear? 

Isn't part of the rules of participation to read what I have written before replying to it? 

Its not fair that I get bombarded with nonsense when I am asking a specific question, every time I ask a question on these forums I get nothing but irrelevant nonsense.

I want to know how to enable the fingerprint scanner inside of the BIOS settings. The BIOS settings had a fingerprint scanner already activated when I got it. So I have to use my windows harddrive just to get the fingerprint scanner working? That's ridiculous. Wow. Why isn't there a way to put my fingerprint into the system in the BIOS??? -.- 

And advising me to install windows just to do that then go back to Linux is horrible advice.

I would like to get this fingerprint scanner working. Can you please give me the links to the software I need???? I'll put my windows harddrive into the computer -.- pretty rediculous you guys only support Windows, objectively windows sucks, it takes over 5x as much RAM just while idling, and over 7x as much RAM when compared to MUSL-LibC LINUX

The only reason I have dual-boot on my desktop is because games, other than game support Linux is all-around better at everything.

How do I make it so that it requires my fingerprint on boot-up? I have my fingerprint registered in the system now, but it boots up without even prompting me for a password / fingerprint. so how do I make this work??? I want it to prompt me for a password/fingerprint on boot-up.

Where is the option to do this???? -.- 

Now that I have the fingerprint scanner working, I want it to prompt me for a CMOS boot-up password, I'd like to avoid using DriveLock if possible...

Security > TPM Security > Power-On Authentication Support

and then it has to boot into Windows after this setting has been enabled & the HP security thing has to be run, then the harddrive can  be swapped back out for the Linux one.

HP Recommended

What you are asking I believe should be possible. I have definitely used the fingerprint scanner before for pre-boot authentication. 

I am trying to achieve this now with my Folio 1040 G3 but I’m only being prompted for a password and the fingerprint scanner appear to not work. Fingerprints with previous Folio 1040 G1 worked at pre-boot authentication stage so either this has been dropped as a feature in the later generation of my notebook, I have it misconfigured or I'm hallucinating.

I have so far, downgraded HP Client Security, cleared and reset HP Client Security to defaults and cleared the TPM and re-added finger prints. The finger print scanner does work fine for logging on until I enable pre-boot authentication.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.