Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hey

Recently I bought a notebook with i5 13th gen and freeDOS. I tried a to install windows on it but the bootable usb doesn't show in bios or boot menu. I have tried all the settings in the bios, different usb pendrives and Rufus and Microsoft Media Creation Tool but I still can't find a way to make it work. On my older pc, the same usb stick works

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide for troubleshooting:

Enter BIOS/UEFI:

• Restart your notebook and repeatedly press the BIOS key (usually F2, F10, F12, ESC, or DEL) during startup to enter the BIOS setup.

Check Boot Menu:

• Look for a "Boot Menu" option (sometimes accessed with a different key like F12 during startup) to see if the USB drive is listed there.

Disable Secure Boot:

• Navigate to the Security tab (or equivalent) in the BIOS.
  • Find the Secure Boot option and set it to Disabled.

Change Boot Mode:

• Navigate to the Boot tab.
  • Change the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy, or vice versa.
  • Save changes and exit BIOS.

Set USB as First Boot Device:

• Still in the Boot tab, change the Boot Order to place the USB drive as the first boot device.

Save and Exit:

• Save changes and exit BIOS. The system should now attempt to boot from the USB drive.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Dragos28,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your bootable USB is not showing up in the BIOS or boot menu of your new notebook, there are several potential issues and solutions to consider.

Check USB Port and Compatibility:

• Try different USB ports (both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) on your notebook.
  • Ensure the USB port you are using is functional by testing it with another device.

Update BIOS:

• Ensure your BIOS is up to date. Check the notebook manufacturer's website for the latest BIOS update and instructions on how to apply it.

BIOS Settings:

• Secure Boot: Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS settings. Secure Boot can sometimes prevent the system from recognizing non-certified bootable devices.
  • UEFI/Legacy Boot: If your BIOS supports UEFI, ensure your USB is created in UEFI mode. You can also try switching between UEFI and Legacy boot modes to see if the USB is recognized in one but not the other.
  • Boot Order: Ensure the USB drive is set as the first boot option in the boot priority order. This can usually be found under the "Boot" tab in BIOS.

USB Drive Format and Partition Scheme:

• When using Rufus or other tools, make sure to select the correct partition scheme and target system. For modern UEFI systems, use GPT partition scheme for UEFI. For older systems or if using Legacy boot, use MBR partition scheme.
  • Format the USB as FAT32, as some BIOS setups may not recognize NTFS formatted USB drives.

Recreate Bootable USB:

• Using Rufus:
    1. Select your USB drive.
    2. Choose the Windows ISO file.
    3. Under "Partition scheme", select GPT for UEFI or MBR for BIOS/UEFI-CSM.
    4. Under "File system", select FAT32.
    5. Click "Start" and wait for the process to complete.
  • Using Microsoft Media Creation Tool:
    1. Download and run the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website.
    2. Choose "Create installation media for another PC".
    3. Follow the prompts to select the USB drive and create the bootable USB.

Test USB on Another Device:

• Confirm that the USB drive is bootable by testing it on another computer. If it works on another device, the issue is likely with the BIOS settings on your new notebook.

Enable USB Boot:

• Some BIOS settings have an option to enable or disable USB boot. Ensure that this is enabled.
I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide for troubleshooting:

Enter BIOS/UEFI:

• Restart your notebook and repeatedly press the BIOS key (usually F2, F10, F12, ESC, or DEL) during startup to enter the BIOS setup.

Check Boot Menu:

• Look for a "Boot Menu" option (sometimes accessed with a different key like F12 during startup) to see if the USB drive is listed there.

Disable Secure Boot:

• Navigate to the Security tab (or equivalent) in the BIOS.
  • Find the Secure Boot option and set it to Disabled.

Change Boot Mode:

• Navigate to the Boot tab.
  • Change the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy, or vice versa.
  • Save changes and exit BIOS.

Set USB as First Boot Device:

• Still in the Boot tab, change the Boot Order to place the USB drive as the first boot device.

Save and Exit:

• Save changes and exit BIOS. The system should now attempt to boot from the USB drive.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I really don't know which one of those was the right solution, but in the end it worked. Maybe power on and F9 was the only tricky thing to do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.