Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hi,
This question has been asked before (see below) but my reason is different.

I use a mindmapping software where I use the 'ins' button often to create a new branch - but in getting this hp laptop I have to press 'fn' and then the 'ins'-'prt sc' key to get it to insert.  I just want to press the ins key as I use insert so often using the mm software. 

Don't mind if the print screen is disabled as I doubt I would use it much - but even better would be if I could swap the function on the key around so that it is the 'prt sc' option that works with the use of the 'fn' key. (I have been helped already to do this task with all the keys with f1 to f12 which now work without me having to press 'fn')

Can anyone help?

Regards
CRW2

OLD MESSAGE
HP Pavilion Notebook 15-Ab292
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

To the right of the f12 key is a key for  ins and prt sc .   ins works in combination with the fn key; prt sc works by itself.

I have no use for prt sc, in fact, it's very annoying because I accidentally hit it all the time when I intend to hit the delete key which is just to the right of it. I'd like to either disable the prt sc funtion or switch it with the ins function.  If prt sc were a 2-key function, then I'd never accidentally do it.  I'm about ready to try to physically pull the ins - prt sc key out of the keyboard to stop it from saving pictures of my emails, personal documents,  etc. 

I did find another post where there are instructions for moving the location of the saved prt sc files, so I'm hoping that will at least put them in one place where I can delete them regularly. By default they've been going to OneDrive and seem to proliferate on Amazon and Google clouds.  Whenever I open those on my phone, tablet, or laptop, I find more copies of these screen shots that I didn't know were there.  Hopefully changing the default location to my C: drive will stop that.

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CRW2 

There is a third-party utility named FastKeys that allows you to define and swap key functions -- you can get it from here: https://fastkeysautomation.com/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.