Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15s-eq1270ur
Ubuntu LTS

I have 15s-eq1270ur laptop with Linux on it (Ubuntu LTS variant). I've found out that there is a newer BIOS available on HP support website (F.43, currently my laptop has F.34). So, I've found some solutions how to update the BIOS under linux, and most of them are limited to downloading the BIOS update unpacking/executing it in windows to either create flashable USB stick or use the update binary itself.

The problem is: none of this works with this specific update, since the file in question when unpacked contains only WinFlash.exe. And when you run the installer in windows (on another HP laptop, or in Virtualbox) it would unpack it to C:/SWSetup/spXXXXXX/, and there is only one file, WinFlash.exe. But when you run it just does nothing - no window appears, nada. I've even tried running it from powershell console, but it just produces no output and there is no help pages.

So, how do I update BIOS for my specific laptop?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@polosatus 

Sorry to say this -- but basically -- you don't! 

HP BIOS updates are self-extracting archives that run only in Windows -- which is why those of us who have been at this for a while maintain dual-boot PCs (i.e., Windows and Linux) so we can continue to run Windows-only utilities.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I had the same problem on an HP 14s-fqxxxx linux-only laptop, now successfully solved.

I Confirm that WinFlash.exe (extracted from HP-provided sp114228.exe) does not start under Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.26 in Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye). However, I was able to create a "recovery drive", and WinFlash.exe runs fine from this windows recovery.

1. Create a windows "recovery drive". (I used Windows 10 running in VirtualBox. It took up around 488 M space on drive.)

2. Copy WinFlash.exe in the root folder of your windows recovery USB.

3. Boot from the recovery USB.

4. In windows recovery, choose "Troubleshoot" button and select "Command Prompt".

5. In the terminal appearing change to drive C: (that's your USB stick) and launch WinFlash.exe. Command prompt returns with seemingly nothing happening, but within a few seconds appears the window of HP's flash utility.

6. Follow instructions on screen to create (another) USB drive with the new BIOS flashing software on it.

7. Restart your laptop with the new USB stick plugged in. BIOS upgrade starts immediately without offering you the choice to choose boot image or boot to your usual OS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.