Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 13-ag0000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The BIOS update tool for firmware F42 rev A (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96808.exe) does not work under an up-to-date Windows 10 Enterprise: It crashes/closes after accepting the license agreement without any error message.

So I can't create a "recovery" flash drive for use on my HP ENVY x360. I can't run the tool on the laptop directly because I have installed an operating system on it instead of Windows and the tool is only supposed to work under Windows (which it doesn't do either).

Why can't HP just provide an archive containing the files to be copied on a flash drive?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

You can use another windows computer to create a recovery USB after that you can update the BIOS.

Regards.

Thumbs up and accept solution if solved

HP Recommended

You can use another windows computer to create a recovery USB after that you can update the BIOS.

No, I can't, as my post clearly states. And if HP would provide the needed files in an archive which could be downloaded, extracted, copied and used on any OS, another machine wouldn't even be needed.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

As far as I know HP is supporting Windows 10 home only.

HP Recommended

As far as I know HP is supporting Windows 10 home only.

Then that is an artificial restriction which cannot be explained by anything else but crooked arrangements with Microsoft. The UEFI firmware works completely independent of any OS. Deliberately restricting the UEFI firmware update path to Windows 10 Home is an insolence! If I wanted something with the usability of a laptop with Windows 10 Home, I'd by a potato - that's cheaper!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.