Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop PC 15-eg1000 (43F53AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi I have a HP Pavilion Laptop running Windows 11, and because I don't have my laptop connected to power constantly I need to be able to shut down my laptop properly so that the battery doesn't go flat. At the moment all my shut down options just put my Laptop to sleep and flattens my battery, even when I choose shut down.

What have I done so far:

1) Changed my power button to shut down - didn't work

2) Disabled fast start up- didn't work 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Gwen30

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing issues with your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

I recommend you run the power troubleshooter. The power timeout settings can affect your PC on various levels and the startup process is one of them. This checks how long the PC waits before turning off the display and to enter in sleep mode.

Here is how it is done.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi sorry to have taken so long to get back to you - the solutions you gave me did not work and i was forced to send the laptop back to the supplier. They told me there are no issues, so I am in no better off than before. I just don't know what I am doing wrong and really don't want to force a shutdown every night, but clicking on shutdown doesn't seem to work as I lost power overnight again.

HP Recommended

Hi @Gwen30,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Pavilion Laptop PC 15-Eg1000. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

I see that you have already tried all troubleshooting provided by the previous member and the issue still persists, I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.