Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion L2W58EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have tried using the driver from the HP website for my laptop and the driver from the Synaptics website and I get the same error both times.

driver install failed.png

driver install failed.png

How can I install the driver? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @desbest,

I reviewed the post.  Thanks for the quick reply. I was away on my weekend. (not a Saturday or Sunday). You've done commendably well. You've displayed superb technical competence, immense patience and a splendid temperament to try and get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done.:)

Please follow these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Mice and other pointing devices>then select the Synaptics touchpad drivers.  right-click on it and uninstall the touchpad drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device
  • Then try to reinstall the touchpad drivers from recovery manager and it might do the trick for you.

It is ok if the touchpad works. Every touchpad under the sun will work even without the manufacturer's drivers. Windows operating system is intelligent enough to install its own native drivers for certain components like the hard drive, keyboard, optical drive, monitor and touchpad. for providing minimal functionality for it to work and be recognized.

Otherwise, you will need to perform a refresh of the operating system from the recovery partition by following the steps from my previous link.

If that does not work, you will need to perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link:http://hp.care/2xSmY2f after backing up your files.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @desbest,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with installing the Synaptics touchpad drivers. I will be delighted to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb description and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Is the Synaptics touchpad working correctly?
  • What is the specific reason to install the drivers?
  • Did you try to restore the drivers from recovery manager?

It looks more like an operating system issue on the computer than the drivers themselves because you’ve tried it from Synaptics website and the HP support site and both times it gave error messages during installation.

It is not possible for 2 massive servers that hold drivers and other resources for millions of customers to be faulty. Other customers would have reported it.

For now please try these steps:

If the touchpad is not working then please try following the steps from this guided troubleshooter link: http://hp.care/2xN3mwo and check if it gets resolved.

To install the Synaptics drivers please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Mice and other pointing devices>then select the touchpad drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the Synaptics touch drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Then restart the computer and create a new user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC

• Then install the drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Please check if this fixes the issue.
  • If it does not please repeat the previous steps of uninstalling the Synaptics driver and restart the computer again. Then login to the new user account.

Then try to restore the drivers from the recovery manager by following instructions from this link: http://hp.care/2xMH2mN

• This should fix the issue.

If it does not fix the issue then please run a refresh to reinstall the operating system on the computer without data loss from this link: http://hp.care/2xMH3Hn This will definitely do the trick for you if there are no hardware issues.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. Smiley Happy

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is the Synaptics touchpad working correctly?

The touchpad works but I don't have the synaptics driver, so I can't do things like scrolling with two fingers, or seeing or opening the Synaptics control panel.

What is the specific reason to install the drivers?

Because I could not scroll using two fingers and the Synaptics tab did not exist in the Mouse control panel

Did you try to restore the drivers from recovery manager?

No I did not.

The instructions you gave me is for if the touchpad doesn't work, but it does work. What should I do if the touchpad works?

HP Recommended

Hi @desbest,

I reviewed the post.  Thanks for the quick reply. I was away on my weekend. (not a Saturday or Sunday). You've done commendably well. You've displayed superb technical competence, immense patience and a splendid temperament to try and get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done.:)

Please follow these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Mice and other pointing devices>then select the Synaptics touchpad drivers.  right-click on it and uninstall the touchpad drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device
  • Then try to reinstall the touchpad drivers from recovery manager and it might do the trick for you.

It is ok if the touchpad works. Every touchpad under the sun will work even without the manufacturer's drivers. Windows operating system is intelligent enough to install its own native drivers for certain components like the hard drive, keyboard, optical drive, monitor and touchpad. for providing minimal functionality for it to work and be recognized.

Otherwise, you will need to perform a refresh of the operating system from the recovery partition by following the steps from my previous link.

If that does not work, you will need to perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link:http://hp.care/2xSmY2f after backing up your files.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you make a mistake in your post? Your post says to uninstall the audio drivers. Did you mean the mouse drivers?

More specifically, should I uninstall "Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible TouchPad"?

HP Recommended

Hi @desbest,

I saw the post. thanks for pointing it out. I meant the touchpad drivers. I have corrected it. Please keep me posted on how this goes.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead and stay healthy. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It works now. Thank you for your help. :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi @desbest,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.