Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectra
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have movie files that my new computer can not play move file MVI. Any proposals to solve? I have imported them from my old computer where I always could play them. I tried to download VLC just for a test and do get the film icon to open but not to play still. I tried to learn about Codec but no familiar and also read warnings about downloading

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ingela1 

That's because MVI is not a CODEC; instead, it's a CONTAINER.

Canon cameras use that format, but the files are often encoded as MVIxxxx.MOV.  Are you sure those are not .MOV files?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. The name of the file is MVI XX but in properties is states MOVE file as "file type"....

HP Recommended

@Ingela1 

You could try changing the file extension to .mov -- and seeing if VLC will then play it.

If that does not work, then consider installing one of the K-Lite CODEC packs from this page:  https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/codecs.html

I would try either Full 14.9.4 Final or Full Beta 14.9.5.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.