Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion X9Z56EA#UUW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When attempting to install the Windows 10 May 2019 update, I receive the message:

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST): The inbox storage driver iastora.sys doesn’t work on these systems and causes stability problems on Windows. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows."

The installer directs me to the Microsoft support:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4514156/updating-to-windows-10-version-1903-on-devices-with...

I have attempted the suggested fix to install the latest Intel RST driver (17.5.1.1021) from Intel's homepage, but the problem persists. I have also tried to install the particular driver recommended by MS (15.9.6.1044), but still no luck. Is this a known issue, and if it is, is it a HP or Microsoft issue?

Edit/update: Having run the installer of Intel RST driver (17.5.1.1021), the list of installed apps provided by Settings  > Apps > Apps & features will tell me that this is indeed the installed version. However, inspection of the particular file iastora.sys itself reveals that this has not been updated. It would seem that something is preventing the installer from updating iastora.sys, and that this is not detected by Windows, only by the Windows Update installer.

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

same problem here

solution  :  hp needs updating there driver in the hp support assistent.

in there you got the 14......driver from 2015

also instaled the latest driver from intell butt doesnt work because your laptop takes the one from hp

HP Recommended

Same problem 7-28-19        hope to receive update from HP to download and install RST update soon so Windows 10 can complete update 

HP Recommended

Same problem 7/28/19.  Windows won't update with the old Intel RST driver. Intel website suggests contacting OEM manufacturer for correct driver to install. No useful information using the HP Virtual Assistant. Machine is out of warranty. Hopefully HP will step up and post a solution.

HP Recommended

I also receive this message, after a break of 10 days from my Pavillion Windows PC (did not take it on holiday).  If this is a Microsoft update from May, why are we just getting the message now?  Is there an update from HP?  If not, what to do in the meantime?

HP Recommended

Same here. Also tried to install 15.9.6.1044 from intel. But still have the update issue.

HP Recommended

Attempting to do the update, ran into the same issue, while i stepped away, (my grandson was playing on the the keyboard upon my return) I received an  Intel email asking my system model, and if i see any error code when i try to download the software( and to take a pic and send it )  and if I can run the Intel system support utility for windows and send the result.....only thing is when i tried i could  not do anything...and upon a restart....the screen went black with the intstructions to do a F2 to ran a test that showed a 24 digit code...it would not leave that screen even if i tried to do a startup....and i can not do anything else...

HP Recommended

Same problem, any resolutions forthcoming from HP would be appreciated. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here... HP's Virtual agent wasn't useful....

hope we can get the updates as soon as possible....

HP Recommended

I have found that when you investigate what is being unzipped from the SP e.g. SP88070\F6\x64; the iastora.sys file is not included in the pack, as such will not be updated.

Mine is still showing 15.5.0.1051 e.g C:\SWSetup\DRV\Storage\Intel\PPTS1.xIn_QQPFB2\15.5.0.1051\src\F6 (from the last update installed back in 2017) instead of the expected 16.0.2.1086 installed moments ago.

I too have tried a couple of different versions and all with a failure to update the driver files i.e. iastora.sys file as they do not seem to be included in the SP.

This is an anoyance and shouldn't have gotten to this stage considering the site indicates that CC-5XX was tested back in may, me thinks not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.