Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Grzwarcz, I do not share your opinion that it is a Microsoft problem.

Microsoft clearly asks to update to a newer version of the Intel driver because of unstable results with the old version and the Windows 10 update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4514156/updating-to-windows-10-version-1903-on-devices-with...

And Intel clearly asdvises not to use the driver on their page, because most hardware vendors modify the driver to their needs.

Note: Intel recommends that end users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

I think that is the reason that we do not update to a newer version via Windows update in the first place although newer versions exist for a long time. I just get the message that no newer driver exist.

So  in my opinion it is time for HP to come with a reaction. Or is this not the place to get a reaction from HP?

HP Recommended

Hello

there are sevaral Intel RST drivers available on HP ftp site, but you must know the Hardware ID of Intel SATA controller in order to choose the right softpaq. example , latest version is

sp97096.cva  , driver link : https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp97001-97500/sp97096.exe

this softpaq support these Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D03="Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102="Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A103="Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A352="Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A353="Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9DD3="Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D07="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A107="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A106="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A28E="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A286="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9DD7="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A356="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A357="Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282="Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

if your computer has an Intel controller in the list, first try to update the driver , the try to update Windows 10

bye

HP Recommended

Not sure what changed, but, Windows update completed today.  Didn't stop for the RST thing.   Guessing Microsoft fixed update so it would complete but don't really know.  Just glad that it's done!   

HP Recommended

It appeared to be as simple as TryToDoMyBest said.

I installed the named driver, after checking the hardware-id according this link:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/nl/nl/nldhs1/sln121527/drivers-voor-apparaten-zoeken-met-een-ha...

After that my driver version is updated to even: 17.2.12.1035

And the Windows Update went through.

HP Recommended

also updated without doing anyting

HP Recommended

Just tried again but still not working for me.

RJFW

HP Recommended

I now have the May 2019 version, 1903, installed.  It may be that renaming iaStorA.sys helped.  But I also noticed that there was an update to 1803 (the 2018 version), which was installed before 1903.  So, maybe Microsoft did have a patch which helped.  (I did not have a lot of time to investigate this situation last week)

The thing that bothers me about renaming iaStorA.sys as a workaround to install 1903 is this:  after you rename the file, Windows Update will "think" that you don't have RST technology at all (that is my assumption), so will happily install the new Windows 10 version.  It's fine, UNLESS Windows Update needs to know you have RST technology - e.g. to activate some other parts of the new Windows version. 

I did consider making a copy of iaStorAC.sys and naming it iaStorA.sys, hoping that Windows Update would know how to read that file,  but did not get around to it.

(I am a retired sw engineer, and spent a whole career figuring out what went wrong and all the side-effects that nobody thinks about)

Hoping for no side effects!

HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved.

Went to my HP Support page and noticed a new download " "update BIOS Family 82F2 Version F.43."  Installed the update then was able to update Windows 10 to the May 2019 release 1903.

Thanks to HP for stepping up and solving the problem.

HP Recommended

I tried what suggested, and re-named the iastorA.sys file to iastora_old.sys. (Previous version was 15.2.0 1020.

I then tried the Windows 1903 update and it WAS able to complete. 

There is still no update for download to that driver on the HP site.  WHY?!

However, my concern is that the update process did not "see" the name of the original file, and that the updated version of that file may be necessary for some operation of 1903.  Anyone know anything about this??

Also, I rechecked my file list, and now the original iastorA.sys file name is there, along with the iastora_old.sys file.  They appear to be the same file...just different names.  Both are listed as installed in 2016 (and NOT today when I changed the name). and Devise Manager details the file still as still version 15.2.0.

So that's weird, right? 

Did the update somehow replace the original file from my computer's model specs listed somewhere?

Curiouser and curiouser....

I just hope I didn't screw anything up by doing the above.  Please reply if anyone out there knows what's going on with this, or any problems I might run into....  

Thanks,

Cobiwan1 

HP Recommended

Hey hello....

try to reinstall and then restart the system. hope your query will resolve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.