Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Just checked on my HP Support Assistant and no new BIOS updates available for my machine.

Update history says Win 10 v1803 was installed on 15th May 19, and last successful update to 1803 was installed on 2nd August 19.

Still cannot install v1903 becasuse of Intel RST.

What are risks due to renaming iastora.sys ???????

RJFW

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is in regards to the issue "Intel RST preventing windows update May 2019"

Kindly check if this resolves the issue 

please find the link : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-...

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers : https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28966/eng/SetupRST.exe

Regards 

Karthik Nataraj

HP Recommended
Ok, an update to this issue. I performed as suggested by Grzwacz (and possibly someone else prior) as I found that the iastora.sys file did not get updated, but did find that instead of it that the driver file being used in my case was iastorac.sys. After renaming iastora.sys to iastora_old.sys and then restarting the computer no issues, my computer was then able to complete the upgrade process also. I then had a similar issue on another HP (2 in 1) but this just needed me to upgrade the driver to a newer version; even though it was an older version of windows driver (1803 instead of required 1809) as found on HP site for that device. No renaming required in this case. I think that in my case Microsoft was not looking for the newer file being used of iastorac (which did get updated and used by hardware) but still looking for iastora.sys incorrectly? Perhaps their parameters are too tight? No issues found thus far with the update following the renaming suggestion. I don't think all apples are alike (I mean windows) and this makes it hard to do an across the board update process due to driver variances with different devices and hardware. My 2 cents worth...
HP Recommended

Following on from my previous post

"Posted on ‎07-30-2019 10:51 PM

I have found that when you investigate what is being unzipped from the SP e.g. SP88070\F6\x64; the iastora.sys file is not included in the pack, as such will not be updated.

Mine is still showing 15.5.0.1051 e.g C:\SWSetup\DRV\Storage\Intel\PPTS1.xIn_QQPFB2\15.5.0.1051\src\F6 (from the last update installed back in 2017) instead of the expected 16.0.2.1086 installed moments ago.

I too have tried a couple of different versions and all with a failure to update the driver files i.e. iastora.sys file as they do not seem to be included in the SP.

This is an anoyance and shouldn't have gotten to this stage considering the site indicates that CC-5XX was tested back in may, me thinks not."

I have found that MFIL1 has found the same as I have.

However, I also utilised the suggestion by Grzwacz.

"Posted on ‎07-31-2019 02:07 AM Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This seems to be a new problem when updating to W10 version 1903.

One fix that seems to have worked for some folks is to navigate to: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", then find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys.

Try the update again."

It appears that Windows 10 1903 update parameters may either be too tight or HP driver update on some devices (not all) updates iastorac rather than the iastora checked by the Microsoft update itself.

On a HP 2-in-1 device that had 1809; I found that it had an issue with the driver also.

After updating the driver beyond that suggested by Microsoft (15.5 version, in this case 15.8.xx - which was specifically intended for 1803 on HP driver page for the hardware), it was able to proceed with the update without having to rename iastora.sys, as it had updated to the 15.8.xx version installed moments before.

Unfortunately, no 2 devices are alike in their behaviour and some of the suggestions have been found to work, with no issues encountered thus far.

Hope this helps...too.

HP Recommended

Hi MFIL1,

I have found the same as you and have indeed performed the rename suggested by

My 5 cents worth.

HP Recommended

I finally got past the "Intel RST" block by installing a new driver.

Now the v1903 install gets as far as 100% installed then says "Update Failed"  "error 0x80070005".

Several attempts made, but same result.

That looks like a permission issue, but I am already the administrator.

A partial success I suppose!

RJFW

HP Recommended

I did what Karthik Nataraj recommended (see above).

It worked !  My Laptop: HP Pavilion.

Thank you !!

HP Recommended

Hi.  What worked??  Could you pls post step by step instructions.  I have 7th Gen HP Pavillion lapotop...is that what you have? 

HP Recommended

I finally got past the "Intel RST" block by installing a new driver.

Now the v1903 install gets as far as 100% installed then says "Update Failed" "error 0x80070005".

Success at last.

After following several on-line "Tutorials" on how to get past the 0x80070005 error, and re-running the update about 4 times it finally worked and I now have 1903 installed on my Envy notebook.

I am old enough to remember people saying that with computers around we would have so much spare time we wouldn't know what to do with it - if only I could go back and tell them what we do with our spare time now!!!!!

RJFW

HP Recommended

Same issue here with my HP Notebook. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.