Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp-spectre 360 `13
Linux

I installed the latest Ubuntu18.04 from scratch and the latest kernel 5.5.10. (5.5.10-050510-generic) with no problems. But for some reason there is neither sound (Dummy output) or microphone works. 

It seems that Sound cart is not recognized.

$ sudo aplay -l 

aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found... 

$ cat /proc/asound/cards  

--- no soundcards --- 

$ lspci | grep Audio  

no answer

I tried this tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingGuide and everything seems to be as expected. I come to section "AC" and after running the command refereed as 'big one', I got
Sound cards recognized by the system:
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:34c8] (rev 30)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA:
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:34c8] (rev 30)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:

When I connect headset by Bluetooth I have sound and mic is working, although when I connect headset by AudioJack neither microphone nor audio is working.  I also checked BIOS and there was no option to disable Sound Card. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks !

PS. This shows up just for a second while booting.

90135918_510908719603694_6076798074326351872_n.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@DejanG 

I'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- in this case, the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you @WAWood on your answer and your advice. Just two small questions before I close the topic. In the photo I sent, there said

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object...
tpm tpw: tpm_try_transmit: send(: error -5

tpm tpw: [Firmware bug]: TPM interrupt not working, polling instead

ima: Error Communicating to TPM chip

/dev/nvmc0n1p2: clean, 338470/15597568 files, 458301/62383360 blocks

I believe these messages are connected to the hardware as they persist with different versions of Linux I have tried. Could you please give me some insight what should I check and how can I repair it?

If I install RedHat Linux on my hp spectre laptop should it work out of the box, as you said that add HP provides assistance on RedHat Systems?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.