Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion p2PC

I am using Spectrum for internet, 25 is the highest speed I can get and, what is my problem when they advertise 100 speed.

A tech was here and said only on 5g. Is this right or is there something I can do to improve my PC ? I am not a geek.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JimP4 

Internet speed is governed by several different factors.

First, there is the plan that you paid for with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) which sets an upper theoretical limit on both your upload (to the Internet) and download (from the Internet) speeds.  I pay a LOT for Gigabit Internet but in reality, rarely get even half of that.

Second, there is the nature of the connection to the local network hub.  You can have wired or WiFi.  The first is much faster than the second, so if you are using the second, you will get a LOT less speed.

I know everyone seems to think that 5G means speeds that are 10 times those of 4G -- but you are mixing theoretical maximums predict in the lab with optimized everything to real-world results, which are much worse.  For example, in one published test in New York City using a Samsung S20, they were able to max out data download speeds at 4G at 278MBps. So, you would expect 5G to be a little under 3000, right? Wrong!  5G maxed out at 540 -- little over twice that of 4G, and a LONG WAY from the 10 times theoretical limit.

So, what Spectrum is advertising is a theoretical MAXIMUM, not what to expect on a day-to-day basis.  I'll bet if you look into the details of their plan, they will say "UP TO" a certain speed, not "NO LESS THAN" the same speed.

To test your Internet speed on the laptop, use Ookla Internet Speed Test.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I know how to test my internet speed, a tech from Spectrum has checked the lines coming in and finds no problems. He used his 5g phone to check the speed he could get  116. Is it the processor where the problem is ?

HP Recommended

@JimP4 

The speed the tech got using 5G on his phone has NOTHING to do with the speed your PC can get., so did you already test the speed using your PC?

And no, the processor has nothing to do with Internet speed.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.