Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I try to use a word processor (Word, Office Access, etc. I am surprised with the buy option.  Isn't there anything free on Microsoft 10.  My last Operating system was Vista, so this Microsoft 10 is a bit overwhelming.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

WPS Office Writer is a free word processor your are able to download online.  Google the name and your should be able to find a few links

I am an HP employee

***If my post helped, click the purple thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
HP Recommended

@Lilly1949

MS Office was only offered in free form with MS Office Starter -- which was a "simplified" verson of office that were bundled on some new PCs.  In other cases, the bundled versions were only good for 60 days; after that time expired, you had to purchase a license in order to keep using them.

WPS office is the closest "freeware" equivalent to MS Office, and if you need something much like MS Office, that is the one I recommend.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If you need local desktop software, LibreOffice is a good choice and it's open source! It's comparable to MS Office 2003 in its interface design, though. If you can work in the cloud, Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online are also usable alternatives, though they require a Google or Microsoft account, respectively.

HP Recommended

You may wish to consider the following:

(1)  FreeOffice 2016

(2)  Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3

* If my post helped, please click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks.

* If my post solved your problem, please mark Accept As Solution.

* Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

I am an HP employee. Superbaby is always here to help.
HP Recommended

I tried wordpad and still was given a "read only without purchase" message.  I think maybe I will have to go back to Windows 7 where everything worked without having to purchase extra stuff with money I don't have.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.