Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7-2247
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I really need help. For some reason my keyboard is acting up. For some reason after updating to Windows 10 last night the keyboard is acting up. Insurting extra charaters in when I try to type. As a college student I need my computer to work. How do I fix this? 

example of problem:

z1  x2  c3  v4  m7 ,8 <* .9 >( /0 ?) 21 3 54 SPACE  bar acts like enter key all the sudden as well. 

m7ajor problem7.9 as you c3an see

left shift key does not seem to be working either. I really need to fix this. I tried changing the keyboad language and that didn't fix it. I also tried turning my computer off and on again. Almost locked me out because adding extra charcters. 

my laptop is:

HP Pavilion g7-2240us Notebook PC

Model #: C2M31UA

please help if you can I have a paper to write and this problem is hard/impossible to work with.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

While this may be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click the entry 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shutdown the notebook. 

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 20 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

While this may be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click the entry 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shutdown the notebook. 

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 20 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you, 

That seems to have solved the problem. Not sure what caused it. But glad It seems to have solved the problem. 

HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thius the prob IU',m haviung how to solve!!! Are these the stiuckj]y kje]ys? HP15-g013dx

}Yr soliutiuons see,ms too long,m ius there  qiuiuckjer wa]y!!

HP Recommended

I have tried the above and my keyboard still does not work.  It will  work when I first sign onto my laptop but after that nothing.

HP Recommended

@BBeggarly

As the keyboard works until you log in, check the following.

Open windows Control Panel and in the top right, next to View by: select 'Large Icons'.  From the new layout, select the 'Ease of Access Centre'.

Select the option 'Make the keyboard easier to use'.

If there is a tick next to 'Turn on Filter Keys', click the box to remove it, then click Apply and Ok to save this change.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, it worked.  I had tried all the other suggestions and nothing worked.  I am grateful for people like you who are willing to help.

HP Recommended

@BBeggarly

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Reboot Your PC

Reboot can fix many of the computer or laptop issues, even you laptop keyboard repair problem can be quickly solved by a reboot. Press down the power button for about 10-15 seconds to turn the PC off. If that doesn’t fix the problem, try one of the solutions below.

Driver Problems

If you want to know how to repair keyboard this is an interesting thing for you to check out. This problem crops up if you install third-party software often and/or you turn your machine off all the time without using the Shut Down command. Check the Device Manager on your laptop. If the keyboard line item has a yellow exclamation point next to it or if the keyboard icon doesn’t show up at all, then you should try to get to your laptop maker’s download page, then download and install the latest drivers for the keyboard. You may have to hook up a USB keyboard (see below) to navigate text entry fields, but after you find the correct file it should be a quick download and fix. 

Go USB

If all else fails and you need to get a term paper or other word document done, stat, then find a USB desktop keyboard and plug it in. It’s not elegant, but it will let you finish whatever you need to do now, then you can figure out the main problem with your laptop keyboard repair later.

Bad Connections

Sometimes the keyboard loses connection with the laptop’s motherboard, and you have a keyboard that either works intermittently or not at all. If you’re an IT pro, removing the outer case and reconnecting the ribbon cable on the bottom of the keyboard should be child’s play. If you aren’t comfortable disassembling your laptop, then bring it to a service depot so a professional for laptop keyboard repair.

Defective Keyboard

If you’re still in your warranty period or have an extended warranty, then try your laptop manufacturer’s tech support line. If they determine that you’re using a defective keyboard, then you should be able to get it replaced at a service depot without too much hassle. Before you send your laptop in or surrender it to a service tech, however, it’s always advisable to back up your hard drive or remove it entirely and hold on to it. That way you’ll still have your data, which is the most important part of your laptop.

How to repair multiple keyboard keys:

Unplug your keyboard. The wire is located near the back and on the bottom of the keyboard. It would need a free space to get your laptop keyboard repair done.

Pry each keycap off by grabbing the keycap with your fingers and pulling directly up.
Pulling the keycaps off at an angle may damage the keys or the switches on the keyboard.
A specialized tool to remove the keycaps will make this process a lot easier and faster, but is not required.

Unscrew the exposed 9mm Phillips #0 screws with your mini Phillips #0 screwdriver.
There should be few exposed screws in total.

Peel Back the Corsair Logo with a knife.
Remove the logo, exposing another screw.

Unscrew the now exposed  screw.

Carefully separate the bottom half of the keyboard with the top half of the keyboard.

Apply the rubbing alcohol to your cotton clothe or pad.

Wipe the affected parts of the keyboard interior down with the alcohol soaked pad.
Leave the wiped down interior to dry for a couple of minutes before reassembling the keyboard.

Source : Techyuga

laptop keyboard repair

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.