Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ed0008ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Keyboard and touchpad not responding at all. 

No lights on the CAPS lock. Noting gets typed, Windows button not responding either. Only the Power button seams to work when the computer is on. 

Wireless keyboard (with integrated touchepad) works fine when plugged via USB. The touchpad part of it works too, and I see and control the cursor via the wireless touchpad, but no response from the integrated trackpad.

Searched solutions :

A - Tried uninstalling all keyboard drivers (including the hidden peripherals in the Device Manager), then restarted the computer, to no avail.

B - Tried a Hard Reset: Turning off the computer, unplugging everything (peripherals and power supply), holding Power button for 15 seconds, then turning on the computer.

C - Tried B immediately followed by A.

D - Tried turning on the computer and passing by the BIOS by pressing Escape while powering up. It did open via BIOS and in BIOS, the keyboard is responding. I pressed F9 for a default setting, then saved the changes and quit the BIOS. Keyboard and touchpad not responsive when booted up.

Keyboard working in BIOS means the hardware of the keyboard is not broken. 

Laptop bought on december 2020. Warranty finished december 2021.  Laptop is mainly used for school stuff. Nothing weird happened before the keyboard not responding. I used it in the morning, trned it off, brought it to school and it did not work then.

I did the HP PC Hardware Diagnosis (in Windows) for the keyboard, the Touchpad (Drag &Drop) and the Touchpad (Pointer). Nothing happened. It says I have a critical failure in my system that requires repairs, which is wrong since the keyboard is working in the BIOS.

Here are the failure IDs anyway:

Keyboard : 98AE21-000B19-XD7U3G-G1PE13

Touchpad(Drag&Drop):98AE21-000B19-XD7U3G-G1XA13

Touchpad (Pointer): 98AE21-000B19-XD7U3G-G26N13

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Vivvzzz

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with Keyboard and touchpad not responding on the HP Envy Laptop. As you have checked the Keyboard is working in BIOS so it is not a hardware issue. 

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • Try doing Reset PC Keep my files from windows and check if it works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for you fast answer, I tried the suggested solutions.

I tried updating the BIOS from HP.com. Again, in the BIOS, keyboard and touchpad worked, but after the update, in Windows, they still were not responding. 

I checked that everything was up to date. It did not solve the problem.

Finally, I did a "keep my files" restore: still did not solve the problem.

I am currently waiting on a complete "do not keep my files" restore, having my files backed up on an external disk drive. It does not look good, because I still had to use the touchscreen to choose the langage a few secconds ago.

I have no idea what to do next if it does not work. My laptop is only a little over a year old! 

Edit: Well. It did not work. I tried installing Windows 11 instead of Windows 10, but the keyboard and the touchpad still does not work. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I solved my problem after a complete day working on it, so I am sharing it here in the hopes it may help someone else one day.

Problem resume:

Keyboard and touchpad not working in windows even after reinstalling drivers, doing a hard reset of the computer and doing a Component test in HP PC Software Diagnosis in Windows. Keyboard and touchpad are working in the BIOS, so it is not a hardware issue.

Solution Description: 

I ran a Component Test in the HP PC Hardware Diagnosis in the BIOS.
HP PC Hardware Diagnosis is available to download on HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Support, under the "Diagnose PC Hardware issues in Windows", but I believe it is supposed to already be accessible in the BIOS.

Step by step:

1 - To access the HP PC Hardware DIagnosis in BIOS, I turned off my computer.
2 - Then, I turned it on and pressed the F2 key a few times during the powering on process. It led me directly to the HP PC Harware Diagnosis page in the BIOS.

Note 1 : I believe that accessing the BIOS normally, the same way but by pressing the Esc key and then pressing the F2 key leads to the same place, the HP PC Hardware Diagnosis page. 
Note 2 : It is important to run it IN THE BIOS. The HP PC Software Diagnosis tool, that I did previously, is not done in the BIOS and did absolutely nothing in my case.

3 - I chose a language, and did a Component Test.

Since both my keyboard and touchpad did not work, I did both the keyboard and pointer tests following instructions on screen. The tests succeeded because, as previoulsy said, in the BIOS, everything worked great.  I totally forgot to do de "drag and drop" test for the touchpad, I supposed I should have done it, but anyway...

4 - I quit the BIOS :  when windows opened, everything was working : touchpad (including the clicking buttons), keyboard, and print scanner. Yeah!

I am not sur why doing a hardware Component Test makes the keyboard and touchpad to work ( isn't it just a check up on whether or not the hardware is ok?), but I am not going to argue with the the results.

I hope this helps someone else in the long run.

HP Recommended

@Vivvzzz

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am sorry to report that I used my computer for a day, turning it on and off a few times for transportationm and then....

The keyboard and touchpad stopped responding again. This time, the solution that worked before do not work.

Everything works fine in the BIOS still.

Please, someone, help me.

HP Recommended

@Vivvzzz

Thank you for posting back, I appreciate your time and effort.

I have a few recommendations 

• Try installing Windows 10 instead of Windows 11 and check if it works.
  • The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. Click on this link for Cloud Recovery. 
  • Check with any USB/Wireless Keyboard and Mouse if it works fine.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer, but none of that worked, except for the USB keyboard and mouse. But it defeats the laptop purpose to have to bring keyborad and mouse everywhere with the laptop...
I am back in Windows 10, cloud recovery did not resolve the problem.

It feels like the keyboard and touchpad (and fingerprint reader) are locked the same way they would be if my laptop was open in tablet mode (folded over).  It changes nothing if I manually put the laptop in tablet mode or switch it to desktop mode. The keyboard, touchpad and fingerprint reader do not work, unless in BIOS mode. If I am in Windows, it just does not work. 

In any way, I feel I just lost the use of this computer. I spent more than a complete day trying to solve the issue, both with your help and other communities' help.

Please help.

HP Recommended

Hi@Vivvzzz,

Thank you for posting back, I appreciate your time and effort.

It could be a hardware issue on the HP Envy laptop as you have already ran the test and has a Failure ID. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. HP provides repair or service options for out of warranty products as well. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:  

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.  

4) Select the country from the drop-down.  

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.  

6) Fill the web form and proceed further.  

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi @Dilip_18

I will make contact for phone support, but I am sure it is not a hardware problem : I do not have the failure ID anymore when I run the component test (in the BIOS).

My product is no longer under warranty, but I cannot contact you by DM because I do not see an enveloppe near my name. There is a bell, but no enveloppe, and I did not find a way to direct message you, even by befriending you on your user page.

Thank you for the follow trough, 

Hoping to use my computer soon,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.