Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Last night my HP Pavilion started acting abnormally.

My keyboard began to malfunction; every button I pressed acted as a shortcut for things on my computer (i.e. "D" took me back to desktop, Space bar caused the whole screen to freeze, "B" took me to browser, "L" took me back to the main log in screen, etc.) Whether I was on the internet, notes, or Word, it did not matter where on my computer I was typing, the keyboard continued to act this way. After a quick search on how to fix it I restarted my computer as everyone suggested. Once my computer was back on, the keyboard functioned normally for about 5 seconds before it began to act out of order again. And then the HP Help and Support window started to pop up. Repeatedly. I ran some virus scans like Avast and Malwarebytes in fear that I had a virus on my computer. Avast came up clean but Malwarebytes found some infected files. Once I cleared those up and restarted my computer, I thought I was in the safe. But once again the keyboard began to malfunction and HP Help began to pop up. I continued to research for the issue and updated BIOS, ran more virus scans, and even attempted to restart my computer from an earlier date using the BIOS menu when booting up (I thought that the Windows Update my computer had just had the day before might have thrown the system out of whack -- its happened before). Unfortunately, the restart failed every time. In frustration I turned my computer off for the night in hopes that it would be fine in the morning... Wishful thinking. It's still acting up. Someone suggested I Factory Reset my computer to see if it would resolve the issues. I backed up my files and gave it shot but it's continuing to act up with the keyboard and HP Help window.

The rest of my computer is fine -- I have no other issues except for these, but unfortunately both of these issues prevent me from using my computer. The strange thing is, they started out of nowhere. I have not downloaded anything, visited any suspicious sites nor have I have experienced any issues before last night. I was using it all day previously for school and it worked fine. The only thing I can think of that would have caused any problems was the new update from Windows my computer had two days ago.

I've seen quite a few complaints about unresolved HP Pavilion keyboard issues, but no one has ever mentioned the HP Help window popping up like it is. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @S78 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that the keyboard and HP Help pop-up are acting up. I'll do what I can to assist you, but first, I would like the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your notebook product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Does this occur on certain programs, or all programs?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

If you do not need HP Help on the computer, you can always uninstall from Control Panel, Programs and Features.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to take apart the keyboard, or some of it, to determine if the keys are obstructed somehow. Some information on the supported method of cleaning the keyboard is mentioned in this document: Cleaning your Notebook PC

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

1.  A1J18AV

2.  Windows 7

3. All programs.

4. No, I did not install any new software or drivers. I attempted to install a BIOS update for the keyboard after it started malfunctioning in hopes that it would solve the issues, but it did not help.

I uninstalled HP Help and I am still getting the pop up. Except now it's a blank pop up labled "Windows Help and Suppor". I really don't understand why this is happening...?

As for my keyboard, I took it apart and cleaned it but it still does not work. I thought that maybe the HP Help was somehow connected to my keyboard malfuctioning (because they both occured at the same exact time) and thought that perhaps my internal keyboard was broken. I carefully took it apart and unplugged the internal keyboard, rebooted it, and then plugged in an external keyboard to see if it cleared the issue. It worked for all of three or so minutes before HP Help started popping up again and the exrernal keyboard began to act like the broken internal.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Due to the keyboard issue, I would just call HP support. When they take the computer in for service, they'll probably reinstall the OS, which would fix the empty box issue. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Help same exact problems!!! Did you ever find a fix? Ugh the only thing I felt was interesting is you mentioned you have avast. So do I , in fact I upgraded avast around the same time this happened. Please help!!

HP Recommended

Please tell me what you ended up doing? I'm trying to remove avast. That's the only thing I have read that I have in common with the same problems as me. In fact, it started two months ago when I installed grime fighter. I took my keyboard apart last night cleaned it as well as the commuter and the keyboard worked perfectly for a few moments. I am so interested if you found a fix please let me know and I'm removing avast right now! 

I did everything on every forum even uninstalled the windows live and that box popping up prevents me from doing everything..  I am removing all avast components as we speak.  Your the first person in many forums that mentioned Avast!!  Only thing I downloaded additionally around the same time this occurred was Grimefighter Avast!  

Solution! Re: Disabling HP help
Options
‎05-13-2012 02:49 AM
I recently decided to finally find out how to eliminate this problem after being fed up with accidentally pressing f1 and opening the HP help and support window.

I DID want to maintain the one touch media controls and brightness functions of the other keys, so disabling the function keys in the BIOS was not the answer for me.

Ultimately, after looking at many forums and seeing people talk about registry editing and stuff and reading nothing was working, I tried a few things of my own. I was able to achieve the results that I MYSELF wanted. This solution may not be idea for others but here is what I did.

I opened the window in question and used task manager to track the window to a file. I found the file HelpPane.exe in the windows directory, I believe in the system32 folder. I was unable to do anything with the file without first taking ownership of it.
To take ownership I right clicked on the file went to properties
Then to security tab and then clicked on the advanced button

In the new window that popped up I went to the owner tab and then

Clicked on edit where I then changed to owner to my windows account

After applying those changes I went back to the security tab in the properties window and I gave my user account full control of the file.

once that was done I move the HelpPane.exe file to another folder for storage and the F1 button no longer gave me any trouble, the pop up stopped popping up, problem solved for me.

(This may eliminate help in other applications or have some other side effects but so far I have had no negative side effects so I don’t care that it was a system file.)

Good luck and if you try this, it is at your own risk.

HP Recommended

This will help the pop up! 
I recently decided to finally find out how to eliminate this problem after being fed up with accidentally pressing f1 and opening the HP help and support window.

I DID want to maintain the one touch media controls and brightness functions of the other keys, so disabling the function keys in the BIOS was not the answer for me.

Ultimately, after looking at many forums and seeing people talk about registry editing and stuff and reading nothing was working, I tried a few things of my own. I was able to achieve the results that I MYSELF wanted. This solution may not be idea for others but here is what I did.

I opened the window in question and used task manager to track the window to a file. I found the file HelpPane.exe in the windows directory, I believe in the system32 folder. I was unable to do anything with the file without first taking ownership of it.

After applying those changes I went back to the security tab in the properties window and I gave my user account full control of the file.

once that was done I move the HelpPane.exe file to another folder for storage and the F1 button no longer gave me any trouble, the pop up stopped popping up, problem solved for me.

(This may eliminate help in other applications or have some other side effects but so far I have had no negative side effects so I don’t care that it was a system file.)

HP Recommended

Solution! Re: Disabling HP help
Options
‎05-13-2012 02:49 AM

HP Recommended

Solution! For pop-up

HP Recommended
Hello!

I have the exact same problem with my HP Pavilion laptop as the OP. Did you manage to find a solution? Does the method of moving the popup's source file solves the weird keyboard behaviour as well?

It keeps up this behaviour after multiple windows reinstalls (either win 7 and win 8.1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.