Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm having a very strange keyboard issue, which appears to be software based. Random keys do not work, and others when pressed produce a number of other characters at random. I have tried reinstalling keyboard software and all the fixes I could find on the support site. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greeting @icacuk,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where some of the keys are not working. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you run a keyboard test on your computer?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here for assistance. Please do not share the serial number of your computer. 

Request you shut down the computer. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 repeatedly during startup to enter system diagnostics. Click here

Run a test on your keyboard.

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My product number is listed as X5X72EA#ABU when I press Fn+Esc. I ran the keyboard diagnostic and it returned failure, with a number of bad keys.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi! @icacuk, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned when you ran the diagnostics test on the keyboard it failed with a failure ID.

It certainly looks to be an issue with the keyboard, Please contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @MrRobot,

Following that link I'm only offered the choices of this forum or support options for out of warranty products, advising to check back during the hours of operation. Since my product is within warranty and I've checked that at several times, how should I go about contacting HP customer service in a timely fashion?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@icacuk, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned your product is still under warranty, I would suggest you try contacting the support using the link posted in my previous thread.Select support from the list type the product number in the search box and the website should ask you to enter the serial number of your product. You should get the contact number and support timings if the product is still under warranty.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.