Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs070wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After my laptop went to sleep earlier it no longer detects the touchpad. 

I have a USB mouse that I use also. I have always used both the USB mouse and touchpad interchangeably and at the same time and have never had any problems. Today however the touchpad suddenly stopped working. When I went into mouse settings, it is showing the USB mouse but not the touchpad. When I disconnect the USB mouse, it doesnt show anything under mouse hardware.

I tried updating drivers and restoring from a save point already but neither works. I guess my next step would be factory reset but I would rather not do that. Any help?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @brian821 

Before you attempt a factory reset, have you gone into the Device Manager to see if the touchpad is showing there?

Type Device Manager into the Windows Search bar (Cortana) and hit the Enter key.

Look for Mice and other pointing devices and expand the arrow.

Does Synaptics SMBus Touchpad show there? Or does it possibly have a yellow caution sign next to it?

It should look similar to this photo...

device managner synap touchpad.PNG

If its there, right click on it and choose Uninstall device. Tick the box for Delete the driver software for this device.

Then re-install the driver from HPs website... sp93153.exe

Reboot the PC.

Does that help (hopefully)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.