Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dupbuck
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop only charging when lid is closed or computer is in sleep mode.

HP Pavilion x360
Windows 8.1

My brand new HP Pavilion x360 will only charge when the lid is closed or the computer is in sleep mode. I have tried changing any relevant power settings and have already consulted multiple friends. I'm wondering if there's a hidden setting I have yet to discover or if my battery is busted. The computer is under warantee so if I have to I can take it back to bestbuy and have it replaced, but if there's a dyi method that I've yet to try I would like to get all those out of the way as best buy is rather far away from my house.

7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 764
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @dupbuck,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your notebook computer only charges when the lid is closed, or when the computer has entered sleep mode, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To configure your power options for charging when the lid is both up and active, I recommend following the steps in this document on Managing Power Options (Windows 😎. Additionally, I also suggest following the steps below to reset the default power schemes for your computer:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. At the command prompt, type powercfg /restoredefaultschemes and press Enter 

reference: http://superuser.com/questions/669571/windows-8-1-64-bit-power-schemes-gone

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
radiomaint
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This fixed my problem.  Thank you very much.  

0 Kudos
kunsti
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

worked for me on win7 64.

0 Kudos
Odjohnson
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I am late to this.  I have the same problem but machine Is running on Windows 10.  I upgraded from Windows 8.1.

i have tried uninstalling drivers but it still does not fix it, any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
LVegas
Level 4
118 107 0 24
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is your charger a genuine HP charger? Some non-hp chargers are not supported by hp laptops. I have a non-hp charger for my x360 13t-w000 and it will charge but periodically pops up a message saying I should use HP chargers. There was an article a few months ago and a major PC magazine could not get non HP USB-C chargers to work on some HP laptops.

0 Kudos
raja_amer
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem after replacing battery of ProBook4530s. what worked finaly was

1. restoring power schemes

2. removing battery related device drivers from the device manager

3. reinstalling drivers/updating

and it started charging while the computer was on 

0 Kudos
PACKERSRTHEBOMB
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been dealing with this problem for many, many months and looked online numerous times and tried again tonight cuz it was aggravating me again after so many months having to stop and charge when closed.  I tried this method and IT WORKED.  Thank you. Thank you.  

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation