Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Additional info:

[personal information removed]

PN:[edit]

Welp, here we go again. I got my laptop back about 2 months ago and I'm having more issues with it. This time, I'm experiencing random shutdowns, especially during gaming or more intensive tasks. Sometimes my PC will shutdown with 50% of battery left for no reason. I've reset my power plan settings since I read it helped someone with similar issues, no dice. I have a temp monitoring program and usually it doesn't go above 70C while gaming, though to be frank, I did have a few sessions with 90C temps, but there were very few of those. Though another issue I heard about is that most temp monitoring programs don't support AMD processors properly and my processor isn't supported by AMD OverDrive. I also ran HP Diagnostics on my battery and power, but it came out all OK. What could possibly be the cause of this? Is it really overheating or something else? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, according to the service note, my laptop had 3 parts replaced, the LCD panel ( whcih is a total mystery for me as to why that was necessary ), the ventilator and the radiator,

EDIT2: Another thing I forgot to mention, but my laptop stops charging around 85-90% of battery. I also have all latest drivers installed according to HP Assistant..

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Bump with more info.

Yesterday I had about 3 more shutdowns, and I wasn't even doing anything CPU-intensive. Highest temps were in the low 60C, but most of the time in the 40-45C, and the pc still shut down. It usually does this around 30% of battery left, though as I mentioned sometimes it's as high as 50%.

Also, it only happens when on battery power. When plugged in I have no such issues. Should I be using my laptop without battery until I can fix this issue?

HP Recommended

@KiBoyPL,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with your laptop shuts down randomly, don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Does the laptop shuts down due to overheating?

Have you checked if the laptop shuts down in Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the Notebook:

Step 1: Performing a hard reset: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Step 2: ​​​​Boot the computer into the Bios screen and check if it shuts down.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, leave the  computer in the Bios screen for a while and check if it stays ON or does it shuts down. If the laptop shuts down even in the Bios it is likely a hardware failure.

Alternatively, If the PC stays fine in the Bios then this could be a possible software or driver conflict. 

Let's try to update the Bios, and chipset drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or you can download and install it from HP Support Assistant.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant. Once done, restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, where the computer randomly shuts down it's always better to capture an error message with the report of why windows is crashing via a Blue screen,

However, since you haven’t captured the error code or message, as the blue screen hasn't appeared, I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix:

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  • In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK.
  • Restart the computer to apply the change.
  • The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs.

For more details: click here

However, if the computer shuts down and the lights on both the power button and the charger port turns off,

you may need to try with an alternate power adapter and reseat the battery before you try using it again

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My previous comment was marked as spam for some reason, so I'll redo my comment for the time being.

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Only thing I can think of is Windows installing all drivers automatically, since HP Assistant doesn't show any avalible drivers for me. ( Yes, i checked twice )

Does the laptop shuts down due to overheating?

Incredibly unlikely. It can happen at any temperature, even almost idle temps.

I did the power reset, didn't help.

Have you checked if the laptop shuts down in Bios?

Sadly, it did. Checked just now. After unplugging my adapter it only took a few minutes to shutdown, since I was already near my usual shutdown battery charge left. After rebooting with AC adapter plugged in I was at 43% of battery charge. Does that mean that it really is a hardware failure? If yes then what part is responsible?

I do not have means to try with another AC adapter at the moment.

HP Recommended

@KiBoyPL,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see that you have followed the steps suggested and unfortunately the computer shuts down when in Bios, this clearly indicates a possible hardware failure with the PC.

In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'd rather have to avoid sending my laptop to service again, considering i only got it back 2 months ago and I had to factory reset it anyway to even get it working since it was stuck in first time settings loop.

Now I find out it's a possible hardware issue. I'm gonna try reinstalling windows and try then, but if it really is a hardware issue and it just so happens that one of the replaced components is at fault, what is my chance of getting a refund then? This laptop is still under warranty I might add.

HP Recommended

@KiBoyPL,

As I understand you have exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. 

In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.