Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

1. Product Name and Number
HP Pavilion DV2540ev 
2. Operating System installed

Windows Vista 64-bit

So,i have the above HP Pavilion with windows vista installed.All of a sudden when i plug in my laptop to the socket then the laptop just powers on by itself without me pressing the power button.The same behaviour occurs with the battery attached to it and with the battery removed.In both occasions the laptop just powers itself up when i plug it in.

I have tried a bios reset but didnt seem to do anything.

Any suggestions? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

So should i assume that no one from the HP staff knows how to deal with that kind of problem?

HP Recommended

Hi Onyx,

Don't know about HP staff - This is HP Forum, staffed by HP computer owners, users, experts - some of us, newbies - others of us... and some HP people, too.  It's not Tech Support.  Smiling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Update:

If there is nothing in the BIOS, and you've gone through all of that, then you could try an UPDATE to the BIOS.  The one on the website is from way back in 2008; nonetheless, here is the information:

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion dv2540ev Notebook PC

Select the BIOS, download, and install.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad MoBo:

I did find something for you that sounds like a similar issue - you may be looking at a motherboard problem.  If that is the case, you would likely have to have a repair shop troubleshoot it (at the least), or maybe just replace the board.

Source:

Laptop automatically powers on when plugged in for charging

If someone finds out something that sounds more encouraging, I hope they post it for you.

Good Luck!

I hope this helps...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give Kudos for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” to say issue is solved.

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same problem, with 2 laptop  G62. I disassemble the laptop with all periphicals, and chage yhe dc jack power but it stay the same probleme.

how to update fhe bios if laptop, turns all time without turn off.

is it faulty graphic card ?. not beep and not code error happened

thanks for your help

HP Recommended

I was able to solve this problem on a laptop by accident. The bios time and date keeps on resetting so I changed the cmos battery. Not only did it solve the resetting of bios but another problem as well... yes, the automatically turning-on of the laptop when adapter is plugged-in.

HP Recommended
You know your probably right my time and date keep resetting and my CMOS battery seem gone cause its being in it for a while now, thanks .
HP Recommended

YES, IT DID WORK with my ACER laptop. I checked the BIOS time and date and I updated them. (It was 01.01.2001, genereric date after BIOS reset) Now my laptop is not turning on when plugged in. I didn't change/renew the BIOS battery. Only when the BIOS time and date resetting itself to 01.01.2001 after each turning off and on, that means your BOIS battery needs to be replaced.

So, this means that laptop's turning on itself when plugged in is because of the wrong BIOS time/date after a BIOS resetting.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.