Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Linux

Purchased a Pavilion laptop yesterday and installed Linux Mint 19.  I discovered I need video drivers.  Where can I find these and a description of how to install it/them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the attempted help folks.  We returned the laptop to Walmart and will never buy another HP laptop.  My bad.  Should have done more research pre-buy.

JC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JerryC58 

I'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- in this case, the Linux Mint Forums: http://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php?sid=e1d864fe510e562a3fca15f38c93b95a

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the attempted help folks.  We returned the laptop to Walmart and will never buy another HP laptop.  My bad.  Should have done more research pre-buy.

JC

HP Recommended

@JerryC58 

Instead of complaining about HP, you should have done your OWN research -- by going to the support site for the Linux distro you are using and asking there about compatible laptops.  You would have been told there that HP does not provide Linux drivers and could have saved yourself both some trouble and money.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

when installing Mint you have to include the "nonfree" drivers. its gives you the option during install. The graphics card is supported.

Add the graphics driver repository to system with the following command into a command Terminal (without the quotes)

“sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa”

Then update the system with -

“sudo apt update” (again without quotes)

Exit terminal when done and then open Linux Mint “Driver Manager” from the start menu, and select the Nvidia driver number you need from the list. It takes some time for the change to complete. Restart O/S when prompted.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

you arent going to get Linux support here unless you purchased with linux. That does not mean it cant run linux. As long as the hardware used is supported by open source or non free drivers, it will run on the 15-EC0013DX gaming laptop. I just purchased one from Best Buy on Saturday. Wife is making me wait till christmas to open. 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.