Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In a previous question I stated that I purchased this laptop from an auction site and needed to put an OS on another hard drive as this laptop didn't come with one.  I believe that the laptop was a company laptop because when I entered the serial number is came up with the OS being Enterprise but when I look at the Product key under the battey it says Windows 7 Pro.  I did order the Recovery disks for Windows 7 Pro 64 bit as that is what the key said.  Will I have any trouble if I try and do a clean install?  It just so happened that I had a 250gb drive from my broken hp mini that I popped into the Elitebook and it booted right up to WIN 10 - this is the OS my mini was running before it broke.  I then checked the WIN 10 did not activate and I could not get it to activate even with the Product key from the broken mini. To make a long story short when I use the recovery disk to do a clean install, which I plan to do, will the recovery disk be reading the Product Key from Enterprise (because I don't have that) or will I be able to use the Product Key numbers that are on the sticker.  Thank you in advance for reading all of this and for taking the time to answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W7 Pro recovery disks you ordered from HP for your notebook do not need a product key, and will be automatically activated after you install the software.

You can do a clean install with no problem.

Windows won't activate without a new product key when you take a hard drive out of one PC and put it in another one.

In other words, for W10 to have activated on your 8460p, you would have needed a W10 product key which you do not have.  The W10 upgrade key won't work since a different PC was upgraded to W10 using that key.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Was the O/S the HP Recovery media?

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended
The OS was already on the drive. I took the drive from my broken HP mini that was running WIN 10 and put it in the Elitebook that didn't have a drive. Never expected it to load up but it did. The tecovery disks should be here this week.
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W7 Pro recovery disks you ordered from HP for your notebook do not need a product key, and will be automatically activated after you install the software.

You can do a clean install with no problem.

Windows won't activate without a new product key when you take a hard drive out of one PC and put it in another one.

In other words, for W10 to have activated on your 8460p, you would have needed a W10 product key which you do not have.  The W10 upgrade key won't work since a different PC was upgraded to W10 using that key.

HP Recommended
Thank you. I was worried I had purchased something I couldn't use.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That disk should work on any HP PC that could have come with W7 Pro--including desktop PC's, without the need to enter a product key.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.