02-07-2019 05:06 PM
Hello, I've been using my HP Envy laptop for only one day since I purchased it - and I've noticed that the fan is rather loud. Is this just the way the HP Envy is or is something wrong with it? All I do is surf the web, read PDF files etc. and my computer keeps "sighing" even when on a flat surface, like a desk.
Thanks for any help
02-07-2019 06:19 PM
The noise level of the fan is directly related to the load being placed on the laptop's processor -- and while you might not be personally doing very much, with a new Win10 PC, Windows Update (WU) is hogging your PC, searching for, downloading, and installing updates -- to bring your PC up to the most current version of Windows.
This will keep the processor very busy, build up a lot of heat as a result, and keep the fan running at high speed all the time.
To find out what version and build of Win10 your PC is running, do the following:
1) enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the search area and select the Command Prompt option
2) enter "winver" into the command window (again, without the quotes)
3) the most current Win10 is v1809 Build 17763.292
If yours is older than that, most likely WU is hogging your PC trying to update it.
To disable WU temporarily, do the following:
1) Enter "services" in the search area (again, without the quotes)
2) When the window opens, scroll down until you see Windows Update
3) If it say Running under status, that indicates that WU is running
4) To change that, double-click on that task, select Stop under the Service status, and then Apply
5) That should stop WU -- and you should see an immediate improvement in performance
WU will restart itself automatically later on, so you basically have no choice thathan to bear with it until it finishes.
***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP