Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-CE2861
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First time owning a HP laptop and I am being a bit annoyed by the fact that I can't change the critical battery value below 9%. Whenever I try it defaults back to 9%. I have never seen that before in any of my other laptops and I think its rather annoying that I as the OWNER can't decide when I think my battery is critical and should do x thing. Is there some way to mess with that change and let me change the value to say 5% or 2%?. Because 9 is just plain stupid when the low battery warning comes on at 14. 5% from low to critical is just pointless.

So how do i get around changing it?.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DangerDane 

Disclaimer:  I do not have a Pavilion machine.

Monster ZBook (that I do own) is larger and more demanding than little Pavilion - battery on the Zbook is set to 5% and could be set higher / lower.

It does seem like you should be able to set the critical battery level below 9% on your Pavilion system.

?

Method - Set Battery Levels

Control Panel > icon view > Power

Click / Select your current power plan and open it

Click / Select Change advanced power settings

In Advanced Settings menu, scroll to the bottom and open Category Battery

Open Critical battery level

Adjust as available

Click Apply to save changes

Click OK to exit the Advanced settings menu

Example

Power_Options_Battery_1Power_Options_Battery_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion - 14-ce2861no

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-fur 9% is the lowest it will let me go. Setting it lower than 9 just defaults it back to 9.

HP Recommended

@DangerDane 

I was worth checking.

I know that is disappointing.

Discussion Only - "Nothing to see here"

The limitation might be required to keep the battery safe.  Batteries that drain past a certain point are not able to charge again later.  It is just a little battery (3 cell). 

Description                                                                Part Number

3-cell, 41-WHr, 3.6-AHr, Li-ion battery              L11119-855

At the moment, I don't know how you can make use of the missing 4% nor do I know how many minutes of use it could have provided.

The solution, perhaps, is to conserve what battery you (do) have by other means - for example, consider using fewer resources overall to make up for the minutes of time you would have had with the extra 4% of battery time.

Yes, I know - it is irritating to have to change perfectly decent work habits.

Battery usage and other battery facts are explained in your  User Guide (Starting on Page 35)

NOTE:  According to the Maintenance and Service Guide, the series supports "Fast Charge" (Page 5)

It is possible I missed something - it happens.

References

Maintenance and Service Guide

User Guide

Improving Battery Performance (Windows)

Improving Battery Performance (Windows)

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur, the battery taking damage from being discharged to say 1-2% instead of 9% is not going to happen. For a modern LiPo or LiOn battery to take permanent damage it needs to be discharged to 0% and then further discharged, ie being left alone for say 3-6 months for it to do any real damage. 

And 9% is just stupid and absurd. And bordering to me considering to reinstall windows 10 and avoid the HP branded version to see if it will let me then...

HP Recommended

@DangerDane 

OK.

If I have anything further to contribute that is actually useful to you, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.