Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My Win 10 laptop will not complete windows updates. It downloaded up to 29% and then just sat there. I waited several hours but there was no more progress. I restarted the computer and went back into Windows updates. It was still sitting at 29%. I again waited but there was no more progress.

The laptop was originally Win 7. It was upgraded over the summer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@K8MP

Thank you for update,

That's strange that it would give you the message it did, but that would only mean that Microsoft hasn't released an update compatible with your product and that's probably why the automatic update didn't go through either.

I'd recommend waiting for them to release an update suitable for your computer before we reattempt.

No alternate solutions as of now.

Let me know if there's anything else i may assist you with.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@K8MP

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand Microsoft updates will not finish downloading with windows 10,

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to help you understand and resolve this concern:

The Windows Update utility determines which updates are applicable to your computer and then downloads and installs them automatically. To make sure that your computer stays up to date, select the option to automatically install updates.

• If an update requires a restart to complete the installation process, you can schedule this action for a specific time when it will not disrupt your work. You can also postpone a previously scheduled restart until your current work is complete.

• If a software update applies to a file in use, Windows can save the application data, close the application, update the file, and then restart the application.

• If you are connected to the Internet using a metered connection (such as a cellular data connection: 3G, 4G, LTE, GSM), Windows updates do not download automatically, because of the large size of the download. To download and install updates over a metered connection, open Windows Update and manually check for updates using the method described in this document.

To manage the update process, Windows Update provides options so you control whether to download and install upgrades automatically or manually. At any time, you can also manually check for and install any available updates using Windows Update. You can scan for updates, review details about each one, access your update history, and manage your update preferences.

Use the following steps to manually troubleshoot issues installing the Windows updates, as the automatic updates aren't working:

1. Disable your antivirus software using the following steps.

1. In Windows, search for and open System Configuration.

The System Configuration window opens.

2. Click the Startup tab, then click Open Task Manager.

3. Find the antivirus software in the list, select it, and select Disable.

4. Close Task Manager.

2. Perform a clean boot using the following steps to disable startup items.

For more steps and details: Click here

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update:

I got past the original place it was getting stuck. Here’s what is going on now:

It’s trying to install “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1607.” It appears that it has downloaded the update multiple times, then it goes through the “Preparing to install the update.” Then is says “Restart is required.” I have already been through that same process several times.

I just now did the required Restart. After restarting, it did the progress screen and then finished booting. When done, it said it “Could not finish installing all of the updates.” But when I went into “Settings” then “Update and Security” it said “The device is up-to-date.”

I checked Update History and several updates failed to install, including the “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1607.” ( failed it twice today) There were others that failed but many more that were successful. The PC is set to “Download and install automatically.” But I have been using the manual method in hopes of getting it up-to-date.

I just told it to Check for updates. It still wants to install the “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1607.” It’s says it’s downloading the update (again) and now Preparing to install (again)

It just now finished the Preparing to install and is now asking for a reboot. I suspect it will go through the same process all over again. (It would be the third time) I just told it to Restart Now.

HP Recommended

@K8MP

Thank you for the update,

I checked the Microsoft website for the update you've referred mentioned on your post,
This is what I've found:

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1607:

If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your computer. If you are installing a Windows 10 update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 255 MB and the package for the x64 version is 431 MB.

Known issues in this security update

• Issue 1

Some users are experiencing an installation failure when they try to download this update because of a network transmission issue. To resolve the installation failure, please download KB3193494. Update 3193494 includes the same set of fixes as this update.

for other details: Click here

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. It's so weird. I tried it again today (twice) The first time when I did the restart, it said. "Updates were installed" but when I checked the history, nothing new showed as successfully installed. The second time it restarted and said "Updates were not installed."

I wonder what it's doing all that time that it's downloading, preparing to install, and then installing. Apparently nothing.

I really wish I hadn't let Microsoft coerce me into upgrading from Win 7.

Anyway, I'll try KB3193494.  I'll also try a  hard-wired ethernet connection, just in case it is a network issue.

Would you like me to go through the update history and tell you the ones that didn't install successfully?

(Apparently you can't copy/paste or take a screen-shot of the history cuz I tried both )

HP Recommended

@K8MP

Thank you for replying and for the courtesy, 

the bold letters helps me read the characters much better than the other 😛

And it wouldn't be wise to ask you to go through the history and write all of it down, 

Because you and I both know exactly how time-consuming and frustrating that could get.

I would, however, appreciate if you could perform the update I had listed and if you could keep me posted about the results.

Awaiting your response, take your time though and have a good day, ahead,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, now I'm really confused. When I ran the update it said "This update is not applicable to this computer."

I even double-checked and the laptop is in fact a 64 bit machine. And they say that no pre-reqs are required so I have no clue why it's not applicable.

By the way, when I read the explanation of why KB3193494 was issued, I saw the mention of network trnamission issues and realized they were referring to problems at their end.

Here's what I downloaded:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3193494)
HP Recommended

@K8MP

Thank you for update,

That's strange that it would give you the message it did, but that would only mean that Microsoft hasn't released an update compatible with your product and that's probably why the automatic update didn't go through either.

I'd recommend waiting for them to release an update suitable for your computer before we reattempt.

No alternate solutions as of now.

Let me know if there's anything else i may assist you with.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
OK and thanks for your efforts.
I suppose we'll have to consider it " case closed" for now.
I ran into another problem when trying to connect to a wired router port. It wouldn't connect. It says it's unable to ID the connection. It was a known good port and I tried 3 different cables. It kept wanting to call it a public network but it's not. I'm thinking it's a security thing.

Take care, Joe
HP Recommended

@K8MP

You are most welcome. 🙂 I must say that technical solutions can only be provided but it was you who implemented the steps to perfection. Do let us know if we could be of any help in future. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.