Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0043tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The auto update app notified me to restart my laptop to install some updates. So i restarted it and after it restarted i noticed that my Anti Virus Software (KASPERSKY) is gone. I tried to open the app itself but it says it "gone". I then tried to look at my Windows defender and when i opened the Windows defender app all of its tabs (Firewall, Anti-virus, Health,etc.) are also gone. Maybe I got attacked by a virus? And if so how can I retrieve my Anti Virus software back and my windows defender back as well. My Kaspersky license is not yet expired until December next year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@14-ce0043tx
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Have you tried reinstalling the Kaspersky software?
  • Could you please share the picture of the Windows Defender screen?

While you respond to that, let's try a system restore: System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@14-ce0043tx
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Have you tried reinstalling the Kaspersky software?
  • Could you please share the picture of the Windows Defender screen?

While you respond to that, let's try a system restore: System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response and I apologize for the late reply. I have successfully reinstalled my kaspersky software and it immediately disinfected and removed my virus (I saw it had a trojan in its name, and there was this other virus I forgot what it was). I also have attached a screenshot of what my Windows Defender looks like as of now. All of its tabs (Anti-Virus, Security, health, etc.) are gone. I have yet to do a system restore. Should I really do a system restore?Windows_Defender_Gone.pngWindows_Update_Error.png

I also did a windows update scan. And it always would say it occurred an error as shown in the picture above. Thank you for the help. 

HP Recommended

@14-ce0043tx

Thank you for the picture, 

Let's try to uninstall the Virus software and try updating the windows using HP support assisant.
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to use the HP support Assistant and searched for updates. It only searched one update relating to something with USB. I tried to install it but it won’t. I think I am unable to search and update new updates since my Windows Defender was gone. And even the Update and Security tab always gets an error. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.