Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I know this has started to be covered already but the discussion was never finished. This was the original post:

I have discovered that the keyboard backlighting won't turn off. The backlight on/off key is labeled as F5. I press it, but nothing happens. I've also tried pressing fn+f5, but that doesn't do anything either. I had been leaving the backlight on, but now I want it to only be on when I press the f5 key. Why won't the backlight turn off?

I am having the exact same issue. I followed the instrustions of the helper, which were: 

Can you please get to the Desktop Screen of Windows by pressing the Windows Key and ”D” keys together and then press the F5 key? As you might know, F5 is used for refreshing a Window/Page. Do you see the Desktop Icons getting refreshed? This is to make sure that the F5 key is working or not?

If you got confused with that suggestion, please open MS Word and then press the keys “Fn” and “F5” together and let me know whether you get the “Find and replace” Window?

I didn't understand the first part, but the second part I got. I opened Word and pressed Fn and F5 together and can confirm that the 'Find and Replace window appeared. However, I have no idea what to do from here or how to fix the problem, please help me.

Also bear in mind please that I am 16 years old and know pretty much nothing about computers. Also, I only got this laptop for Christmas 2015 and am not very familiar with everything yet.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @R_Lapis,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you need to turn off the keyboard back light.

In order to better assist you, can you post back the product number of your laptop?

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Also, I know some models use Fn + F11 to turn on/off backlit keyboard. You can try that combination.

Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, I know how easy it would be to just ignore it. Plus, I can imagine it must be frustrating to do what you do, especially with utter noobs like me. 

Also, I do not believe it neccessary anymore. Its... strange, but my laptop just went crazy, lights flashing and stuff, and then everything was back to normal. I conducted a scan that revealed a rather dangerous virus due to my AVG shorting out just beforehand, somehow it managed to penetrate the defenses and, for a lack of better words: screw everything up 😕

I managed to get rid of the virus and get my firewalls back up, and now my laptop is running smoothly once more, so, maybe it was just a one time thing. 

Regardless, once again I thank you for your reply and for welcoming me to HP.

HP Recommended

Hi @R_Lapis,

Glad to hear it is working now. 

Have a good day!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.